**1968 Le Mans & JW Automotive GT40 Talk- 8th May**

I am proud and excited to announce that Mr Roy Gillett is to give the GT40 and Sussex Area Lotus Group a talk about his involvement with GT40s and Le Mans in 1968. The evening begins with a film about the Gulf Racing GT40s of the JW Automotive team at the 1968 Le Mans, starting at 7:30 pm on Wednesday, 8th May 2013 at the Silvermere Golf Club, Cobham, Surrey.

Roy's talk will begin at approximately 8:30 pm with a short beer and loo break in the middle.

Roy was a motor racing nut back then and shared a famous 'motor racing and rallying flat' in Kilburn back in the '60's . One of his flat-mates was Chris Lambert who
raced Brabhams in Formula 3 and then F2 from 1965. He was Roy's best friend and he acted as his mechanic and general dogsbody when he started and continued to assist even when he had a professional
spannerman in Formula 2. Sadly he was killed in July 1968 in that terrible summer that took Jim Clark, Mike Spence and Jo Slescher as well. It was a fairly notorious accident involving Clay Reggazoni at
Zandvoort. Roy was devastated by Chris's death but Bob Leggett who was Chris's manager at the time was brilliant. He said Roy had to choose between walking away from motor sport which he loved, in which
case Roy would despise it, or he could stay as involved as possible as quickly as possible and get over Chris's death. He had contacts with JW and used to help put an 'extended' team together for them each
year for the 24 hour races. Le Mans was in September that year because of the French student riots in June and Bob offered Roy the chance to join the JW Gulf pit crew for the Le Mans race, being placed in charge of the Rodriguez and Bianchi winning GT40!

The rest of Roy's fascinating story will be told by him at the next Surrey & Sussex club night on Wednesday, 8th May 2013 from 7:30 pm onwards.

I hope GT40 members can fetch their cars in order to show support for the evening a create a display of club cars in front of the golf club.

This is open to all friends and family of both the GT40 and Lotus clubs, so please come and enjoy a fascinating evening.

Andrew: Chairman of GT40 Enthusiasts Club - Front Page

Sorry will have to cancel due to work commitments - hope you all have a great and interesting evening and i look forward to seeing the video of it!

Also available at Silvermere will be the new "GT40 50 Years" Club Paddock shirt in a variety of sizes.
In my absence Ian Stewart will be prepared to take your folding stuff in return for the latest in Club Wear!
For those of you not able to attend Silvermere, the Order Form in the Shop section of the Club Website will shortly be updated to include the new shirt.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

All seems to be set for a great evening at Silvermere on Wednesday. Remember... all are welcome, members, guests & friends. We're starting with a 30 minutes video of the 1968 Le Mans race at 7:45ish, which should take us up to 8:15ish. A short break and then the talk from Roy begins about 8:30 pm, and will firstly concentrate on his motor racing career in the mid 1960s, then after a short break, Roy will tell us about his involvement with JWA at the 68 Le Mans. Roy is fetching some memorablia and has prepared a photographic presentation for us. I hope we can get as many GT40s outside in front of the venue as possible... Andrew

Hi Andrew

Somewhat belatedly (apologies) on behalf of all members of the GT40 Enthusiasts Club and not forgetting the guys from Club Lotus/AC Owners, thank you for organising a great evening at Silvermere last week.

Rod's presentation gave a insight to preparations for the race and the race itself. It's all so different now.

Coupled with the film, how many of us were thinking to ourselves ...."if only we had been there".........

Great turn out too - full house.

Thanks.

Back