GTD

Dear all ,

I need you help .
Does someone now when GTD was created ?
When was the first cars manufactured ?
Where can I find reliable information on GTD history ?

Thanks !

Emmanuel

Mike Pass

Supporter
Bonjour Emmanuel,
have you looked at the GT40 Enthusiasts Club website?
GT40 Enthusiasts Club - Front Page

GT40 replica (inc GTD) info courtesy of Brian Magee
The GT40 Replicas

GTD Developments started in Manchester and built KVA replicas. They then produced their own car and moved to Poole. They then went out of business. The Southern GT is developed from the GTD but is different in many (better) ways. You may find the date your car was built from the chassis number.

Cheers
Mike

Thanks mike !
chassis number is 15289 ( on the paper , not found on the chassis) .
do you now when they begin to create KVA replicas and when they move to poole ?

Mike Pass

Supporter
Hi John,
There are many differences between the GTD and Southern GT. I don't know how Mick Sollis did it but it is much more roomy inside and is wider inside and the footwells are longer and more spacious. The Southern GT also has a lot more options than the GTD ever did. For the full info look at the Southern GT website or talk to Mick direct. He also has done many upgrades on KVA and GTD chassis. I upgraded my clutch with one of his AP setups and I am now fitting the Southern GT fan setup to my GTD. He can also do suspension upgrades to the full alloy upright pin drive arrangement or he can do an upgrade to the MK3 Granada upright from the MK2 Granada which gives better KPI geometry etc.
Cheers
Mike

Mike Pass

Supporter
Hi Emmanuel,
The chassis number is stamped onto one of the larger square steel tubes which go from side to side above the steering rack. It may be hard to find as many cars have had panelling put over it! My car also has the chassis number stamped into the metal bar at the very back of the car under the rear clip. I believe that the full chassis number includes the date of manufacture.
Cheers
Mike

Hi all,

I also have a GTD...

Mike, It seems to me that I've read somewhere that a kind of GTD Owners Club was existing years ago in UK.
Do you know if it still exists ? I can't find any website related, except the GT40 Enthusiast Club's one.

Mike Pass

Supporter
Hi Pierre Louis,

There was indeed a GTD40 Club which was very active and did many track days and hill climbs and sprints and the Manx Classic. It later existed only on the Internet but even that disappeared some time ago. A great pity as they hosted a lot of video footage of many events.
Paul Thompson who moderates on this forum did a huge amount of work for the GTD40 Club and knows a lot of valuable info about the Club, GTD40s, GT40s and fuel injection, e.c.u.s in general.

Cheers
Mike

Hi John,
There are many differences between the GTD and Southern GT...
Cheers
Mike

Sorry, was not for me but more for other owners of GTD40. I already contacted Frank Catt and we talked through most of the changes. I think some good improvements can be made to the GTD and Mick is doing an excellent job.

John

There was indeed a GTD40 Club which was very active and did many track days and hill climbs and sprints and the Manx Classic. It later existed only on the Internet but even that disappeared some time ago. A great pity as they hosted a lot of video footage of many events.

Ok, thanks for the infos, Mike.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi

Try sending a personal message to Malcolm on this forum

From memory he had a load of information on when chassis numbers were produced by the GTD factory

Ian

Back