Stoneleigh Show

Hi Steve,
For the past few years the Sunday has had the greater turn out of GT40 cars, I intend to be there on the Sunday this year, I do not know if the club has booked a dedicated club space for this event, I do hope a space is available, members running and building cars from kits form the greater part of the membership and therefore kit built cars should not be looked down upon by some folk who having found a few "ORIGINAL" parts, constructed a "ORIGINAL FAKE" and then consider a kitcar show beneath the clubs activities ,
hopefully see you and lots more 40s there,
cheers,
John.

Hopefully I'll have mine there as usual. I don't normally put it on the stand, I just drive the 450 miles to the show on the Saturday, then park it up, go wandering, then drive home on the Monday evening. The GT40s can have a good turn out on the Sunday (has been hit and miss in recent years though) and the Monday is normally rubbish with hardly any GT's there at all. Personally we drive a long way to get there, so we make the most of it and stay the full weekend to the death. I guess a lot of the GT40s are more local so only do the one day.

If you don't see my car there (Gulf colours), then I might have the Stratos (Marlboro colours) as I've done a fair bit of work to that, so hopefully see you there.

Interesting that some people might have a downer on 'kits' or 'replicas'.. Not something I've ever experienced, but I guess 90% of the activity around GT40s is due to the healthy market for kits, replicas or continuations.....it doesn't really matter how you dress them up.....they're all replicas of some sort or another unless you're in the very lucky minority that actually have an original car. It doesn't matter to me.....they're all great as far as I'm concerned!

M.

Sorry Guys,
Got a better offer. Weekend at Magny-Cours, with track time.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Good luck to all going to the Show, hope the weather behaves.

If anyone needs Membership Forms for the event, let me know and I'll send a bunch through, along with a few merchandise order forms & leaflets.
Cheers
Paul

Hi guys have a great time there. Unfortunately since I am going to Gaydon for the AGM cannot make Stoneleigh. Purely on costs. Due to my leg injuries I had to trade my 2010 Astra 1.4 manual for a newer 1.6 Automatic and this thing eats petrol.
I hope to see you at some future event.
Regards Allan

As this is the weekend of the Donnington Historic I will be there - if anyone else is interested in the Donnington Historic the club has a discount code (2 for 1 tickets with infield parking passes) on the 'Events' section of the web site. Last date for booking with the code is 23rd April.
The GT40 race is scheduled for late on Sunday 4th.
Dave

Dave,
The Donington event is over 3 days, Saturday,Sunday, and the bank holiday Monday, I intend to go to Donington on the Saturday ,Stoneleigh on the Sunday and then back to Donington on the Monday, may do the Saturday in my Cooper S , it is great to drive and easy to park, see you there,
cheers,
John.

Hi
The club have not listed this show in the events listing, however on the shows own website the club has been allocated pitch 18A as in previous years.
Hope to see lots of 40s there on the Sunday, previous years have seen as many as 25 cars, any chance of 50 this year?
Kit built cars are the core of the clubs membership,
John.

Keith

Interesting that some people might have a downer on 'kits' or 'replicas'.. Not something I've ever experienced, but I guess 90% of the activity around GT40s is due to the healthy market for kits, replicas or continuations.....it doesn't really matter how you dress them up.....they're all replicas of some sort or another unless you're in the very lucky minority that actually have an original car. It doesn't matter to me.....they're all great as far as I'm concerned!

M.

Very well said. Not a horse in this race but I've been seeing this divisive stuff for years and it will never go away. (Just take a wander over to the SPF forum and mention "replica". Be sure to wear your thickest skin)

Shame people have to fall out over it though...

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi
The club have not listed this show in the events listing, however on the shows own website the club has been allocated pitch 18A as in previous years.
Hope to see lots of 40s there on the Sunday, previous years have seen as many as 25 cars, any chance of 50 this year?
Kit built cars are the core of the clubs membership,
John.

Hi John

thanks for confirming that - the official notification arrived at my house yesterday! I booked it way back in November / Early December

So any GT40's going to Stoneleigh we have the same parking area as previous years

I plan on being there on Sunday - always a good day out to see what is happing in the market place and perhaps entice others into the club etc.

Cheers
Ian

NickD

Supporter
I'll certainly be there on the Sunday, looking to learn as much as possible as my build progresses.

Nick.

Hi,
Will be there Sunday and would really appreciate it if I could sit in a couple of cars with lowered floor pans etc to judge size. I was quite shocked at how cramped the car was I sat in at the classic car show, but the desire to build a GT40 is still winning over the practicality!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
In years gone by a number of us have met up at the m40 junction10 services.

We all had breakfast or a coffee and then headed up to the show in a convoy

One year before I had my car on the road I headed off before the GT40 s and got a shot of 10 cars together between the breakfast stop and the show

So with this in mind is anyone wanting to form a convoy?
As the show gates only open at 9:30 perhaps if we aim to leave the services at 9:30 we will get there about 10:00 and avoid the queuing to get in

Any takers?

Duncan look me up at the show White Dax and I will gladly let you have a seat and you will see how much space is available!
Ian

NickD

Supporter
The missus and I will be at the services, alas just a merc to tail end any group heading on. "A lady never likes to be seen in fast company"

Looking forward to it ;-)

Nick D.

Hi Guys,

Having started this thread …. guess what, I now can't make it on Sunday. My presence is required for a photo-shoot in North Wales (narrow gauge railway stuff).

Hope you all have a great time. If I get back in time I'll have a blast up on Monday.
Cheers
Steve.

Hi
Ten 40s attended today along with enthusiastic club members with cars in build. Thanks Ian for booking the pitch and thanks to the owners for bringing their cars, all presented to an exceptionally high standard which as usual proved very popular with the visiting public, well done!:thumbsup:

John Oxborough

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Well it was a great day at Stoneleigh today
The weather was good for this early in the season and the traffic was moving!

10 cars took up residence on the GT 40 stand and attracted crowds all through the day. Everyone was friendly and fielded lots of questions I do to know how many people got to sit in the Dax, the funniest was Dick Townsend who asked if I could fit some wooden spacers on my pedals so he could reach them.

Overall the show had fewer manufacturers showing, and the marketplace, vendors area was likewise reduced, but what was on show was well received.

Mr Noo your 917 looked excellent.

Ian

Back