Derek Bell GTD/Lola suspension paper

Howard Jones

Supporter
Does anyone have a copy of the Derek Bell paper on how he improved the suspension on his GTD chassis that was the basis of his T70 Lola. I have looked for a reference for it online several times but I think the page/website has been removed.

If you have a e-version that would be great, however if you only have a paper version I would be willing to pay you for your copy and mailing costs. Let me know and we can exchange addresses.

Thank you in advance, Howard Jones

It is no different to what is done to modify the GTD 40 chassis by many on this site, as it was identical, save for the upper framing being different to suit the T70s bodywork.

Dereks car ran, and still has the out of keeping 17" rims, which could accept larger brakes.

He has not owned the car for some years now, and it has changed hands a few times.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Thanks Brian, guys, I remember that the write up included quite a bit of before and after data along with his take on what needed to be done on the front of the car. I should have saved it long ago but alas I didn't. I would love a copy and would pass it on to others as requested.

Other have corrected me on the subject of which Derek Bell we are talking about. I now understand the names are the same but "Mr LeMans " isn't the author of the paper in question.

Thanks again.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Sorry Howard, it looks like I can not come thru for you. I have looked high and low for a printed copy, but haven't located one. I thought I saved a electronic version also, but I just have a dead link to his web page. I'll keep looking, but it isn't looking good. SORRY !!

Regards Brian

Keith

Well, if you can zoom in, the answer is

here>>>>>> :drunk:

I have to say, it's a really impressive car..replica or no....

Fantastic ! Many thanks karl...

Few shots of this splendid car, recently sold again in UK.

Attachments

• Bell Lola 1.jpg
    Bell Lola 1.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 804
  • Bell Lola 2.jpg
    Bell Lola 2.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 509
  • Bell Lola 3.jpg
    Bell Lola 3.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 577
  • Bell Lola 4.jpg
    Bell Lola 4.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 584
  • Bell Lola 5.jpg
    Bell Lola 5.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 757

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Karl, thanks for the links?

I read the paper with a great deal of interest. Then went out to measure my rear camber gain on the project just to get a feel for what I had done. Remember, this was a second set of uprights in which I lengthened the upright above the axle by one inch, in order to increase camber gain over the previous fabricated upright. Original thoughts when designing the first set was a chassis with less roll than the current chassis actually has. The result was insufficient camber gain, necessitating a larger amount of static negative camber. The measured values tonight were a gain from full droop to full bounce at 3.32 degrees of negative camber gain.

Good...bad? The most recent track session I had a month ago indicated a significant improvement. Track-out speed increased by 4 mph, with even wear and temperatures, and with reduced static camber. I all honesty, I was a bit confused at why the car behaved much better in the turns thinking I had pretty much set up the suspension the previous track day I attended, but then realized that had not included the new uprights during that set-up.

Last edited:

Howard Jones

Supporter
THANK YOU KARL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now how can I save that electronically. I would love to save that as a MS word doc, but a PDF would be fine.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Ya, I jumped the gun on asking how. Working on this now and I will try to convert to PDF form. If I get this done I will post the PDF's here.

THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
THANK YOU Karl. I have once again saved this to my computer, and have also printed them off. I appreciate you finding these.

Regards Brian

Glad to help! My knowledge on the cars is not a patch on many many others here! I am glad that there is an area that I am able to add value!

Howard Jones

Supporter
PDF form:

Attachments

• D Bell GTD suspension mod pg1.pdf
    117.5 KB · Views: 515
  • D Bell GTD suspension mod pg2.pdf
    149.5 KB · Views: 424
  • D Bell GTD suspension mod pg3.pdf
    149.5 KB · Views: 434
Back