I can't believe this auction

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Re: I can\'t believe this auction

Hello Mark !!!!
I know this isn't what you are looking for exactly, but it might be worth looking at. I have a couple of interesting books about the GT40, on ebay currently. You can find a complete description, at these links.

Hello !!! I have a couple of interesting books about the GT40, on ebay currently. You can find a complete description, at these links.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6759&item=2404946774&rd=1

and here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6759&item=2404943037

I found them to be very interesting.
Thanks, Brian
smile.gif

Man, every time I think my GT40 library is relatively "complete", I learn about some other unobtainable work.
rolleyes.gif

Perhaps the authors/publishers will elect to reprint it, if first editions are so valuable. It happened a couple of years after I paid $150 for an original printing of "Ford: The Dust and the Glory". I'm sure if I were to spring $500+ for this GT40 book, it would immediately be reprinted and sold on Amazon for $29...
grin.gif

About normal dealer price at the moment, i am afraid..
There are leatherbound versions as well....
wink.gif

Print plates, were supposedly scrapped by the publisher..
So, no luck there...

Marco, if you're trying to drive me towards paying full price for a copy of this book...

...you're doing a good job.
grin.gif

Bob and others..
I wish i could tell you otherwise...
I suppose one could be scanned etc...if anybody would get on to it....!

If you do think you can spare that kind of amount on a book, buy it !
Amongst GT40 books, you will not get dissapointed !
wink.gif

It is the market of demand and availability...
These were not printed in massive numbers either...
At 464 pages.~8.7" x 12" x 1.2", it is also my personal favourite.

Also depending if you like to read "politics", race programme, old same news, good pictures of old or new shot negatives or detalings in text or pics...etc...
There are many books covering different aspects of the whole GT40 programme.
But not that many devoted intierly on GT40ies.
Most tell the same stories, but sometimes ad interesting readings or pics.
Depend on how hard you want to dig into the matter.
After a while you get to a sort of dead end, and then you can almost just widen your collection with more as in several instead of more knowledge(reading)...(Books that is)
But you can grow with pics and other stuff, wich also tells you a lot !
There are a few high priced ones out there, wich in my opinion are way over rated.
Not so much in the pricing of them, but the content ...
But it also depends on your personal likings and knowledge.
And how this GT40 thing excites you !
I my self, don´t give to much about the politics behind the Total performance programme or such...wich are written about a lot.
I am more into the specific cars and developments.

But then again, one picture in an otherwise useless book to you -might save the day for you ...or somebody else..

That´s the beauty of it, or ?...
wink.gif

I guess it's an industry norm to publish very small runs of specialty automotive books. Understandable, otherwise they would end up on the $9.99 sale table at Barnes & Noble. But to destroy the print plates is really unfortunate. I guess they take up too much space or something. What a shame. Now I have to start donating blood and saving my lunch money again...
grin.gif

The leather bound and very rare edition of "The Ford That Beat Ferrari" by Gordon Jones and John Allen was selling last year at 1000 pounds, thats $1600 at current rates of exchange !! Keep your eyes peeled for it at Auto Jumbles and get yourself an investment.

Well...I found another copy of it and just "invested" in it. Hope my wife doesn't get wind of it, or I'll be selling it for my first month's rent on an apartment...
shocked.gif

This love of cars truly is an illness. Good thing there's no cure!
grin.gif

I have a copy of this book which I paid £40 for 20 years ago. I have constantly refered to it during the build as it contains exellent photos of the original interior and chassis. However it has seen better days and the pages have become seperated from the spine. Considering the current asking price for this book I think it's time I took it to a good book restorer !!

Brian Magee

Supporter

I bought my copy at the Racing Car Show in 1985. The wife thought I was mad spending £40 on a book! I wonder if they ever did re-print it if they would turn the pictures at the top of pages 33 & 188 round the right way or would that would de-value the copies?

Brian.
grin.gif

Brian, !
I´ve seen the same thing in other books and magazines...
Some people just don´t realize that the driver must sit on the "Right side" !in car...
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
shocked.gif

I've just bought a author signed copy of this book on Ebay. Paid £342 which I think isn't bad considering Collector Carbooks in the UK are asking £495 for an unsigned copy. However if I keep spending this kind of money on GT40 stuff I'll never be able to afford a replica kit. Just had to have it though !

And the guy had a £ 50 buy-it-now when first listed on that signed copy !

Ouch ! Wish you hadn't told me. I've just convinced my wife I'd got a bargain ! I spotted the book 10 minutes after the auction had started. Unfortunately another bidder spotted it before me and had already bid the £20 starting price which cancelled the 'Buy It Now' price...... Oh well, it's only money !!

I see there's another copy on Ebay. Bidding has gone up to £307 so far but the reserve hasn't been met yet.I guess the seller knows what he's got. Interesting to see what it'll go for.

£ 412.55 - call it a usd 700 bargain ! - makes £ 342 for the autographed copy a massive bargain (so you can now tell your wife)

I had Phil Remington sign my copy at Monterey this past August. We sat together and he thumbed through it, which was neat as hell. His memory is near-photographic and he had specific recollections of a lot of the events pictured. Wish I had my video camera turned on at the time.

Of course, I did not have the book with me earlier in the weekend when I was in the Ford tent, collecting signatures from Gurney, Bondurant, Sir John Whitmore, Lloyd Ruby, Carroll Shelby, and many others who were instrumental in the GT40 program. I bought the book to have, not to try and make a profit from, but I wonder what it would go for on eBay with all of those signatures in it...

Back