Pete Lyons' GT40 book

Pete Lyons\' GT40 book

Hi

Although the Pete Lyons/late Carroll Smith book "Ford GT40: How America's First Le Mans Winner Was Conceived, Designed and Engineered" is listed on Amazon ($39.99 with a publishing date of April), I've exchanged emails with Pete and it sadly won't be out for a little while.

He is however currently in Florida where he is still working on the book with Mike Teske.

I've been lucky enough to see a 1980s draft Pete wrote of the GT40's early years, detailing his first sighting of the Lola GT MKVI at its debut race at Silverstone, when he fell in love with it on the spot. There's also a fascinating interview with Eric Broadley.

With 20 years in the making, if the draft is anything to go by and with Carroll Smith's involvement, this book will be worth the wait.

Cheers

Rob

Re: Pete Lyons\' GT40 book

Thanks for the heads-up Rob. I just started my Christmas list.

Buzz

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter

This is terrific. I don't know Mike Teske, but I've heard about his knowledge on GT40s and his expertise in replicating parts of vintage Mark II cars. The book will be a real treat. Keep us posted.

I talked with Pete about the book last August in Monterey. He said that Carroll Smith had sent him thousands and thousands of words about the GT40 project, and that he was working on editing through all of it. I am eager to read Carroll's perspective on things as it will undoubtedly be insightful and very un-"PC". The book can be pre-ordered from Amazon and should be a great one, whenever it comes out.

Last time I spoke with Pete it was still on the horizon. I'll ask for an update.

Cheers

Rob

I had an e-mail from Pete a month or two ago, the gist of which was that the book was not ready yet. Strangely enough, Amazon has it available for order AGAIN. I went ahead and did so (for the third time), although I don't expect to see it any time soon.

Bob

My research on the web claims that the book has never been published and that even though it has an ISBN # 0768009219, it probably never will be published. It was suppose to have been published in 2007 by SAE.

Last edited:
My research on the web claims that the book has never been published and that even though it has an ISBN # 0768009219, it probably never will be published. It was suppose to have been published in 2007 by SAE.

Unfortunately, that's roughly the results I got. I would have like to have seen Carroll Smith's view of the GT40's history.

Back