40 inches ???

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
We know the GT40 derived it's name from being 40inches in overall height,but why??? --apparently it was engineered that way?
The first neatest correct answer wins! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Keith

To stop this man getting in it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Attachments

• 46947-JC.jpg
    46947-JC.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 309
Well, the entire GT40 program was devised to beat Ferrari on the race track.

Maybe Enzo said something about the optimal height for a race car and Ford responded.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Clarkson should be made to sit in one, preferably with the door anti lift bracket in place, and then somebody slams the door shut - very very oh so very violently.
He was the guy who advocaated on TV that a smoker could use the chemical toilet in airliners and by continually pressing the flush switch, any smoke in the compartment would not be detectable...... quel une total prat !!

Keith

Don't sit on the fence David. Tell us how you REALLY feel about this man? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

On the original subject. Was this the height that the Lola happened to be?

[ QUOTE ]
Was this the height that the Lola happened to be?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep

I have an original spec sheet from Lola showing the height of the Lola GT at 40 inches with a ground clearance of 5 inches. This was slightly wrong as the original Lola is 36 inches from the floor to the roofline - thankfully the same as the Lola panels produced from my moulds - making 41 inches.

However, FIA regs at the time said that there should be a minimum of 4 inches ground clearance and this is how Eric Broadley set up the racing Lolas - making 40 inches.

Cheers.

Rob

Keith

I claim my prize! Please send a completed mono CAV GT to my house by air freight. Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Do not want to sound a smart alec. But I was under the impression that the GT40 was 40.5" in height from the ground. I know size does not matter. Also when first launched the car was called The Ford GT. Where it got it's height mentioned originally I do not know. But it's funny that every Ford car that leaped onto this description transformed the height into the date i.e. GT70, GT90, etc.
Regards Allan

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Size does matter - I've trained and trained to get to my optimum and also so I can reach the pedals on a go-kart.
All the people who say it doesn't matter are usually making excuses....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Come on Flatchat, get your act in gear and disclose the dark secrets..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

OK

I'm sticking with Keith's answer, because Eric Broadley was well on with creating a 40" to 41" high design before the 1962 FIA rules were finalised. However, although no specific total height was stipulated in these rules, in a roundabout way there was a minimum legal height for a GT car.

The rules stated that the minimum height from the lowest point of the seat to the roof was 85cm (33.5"). Add this to the minimum FIA ground clearance of 12cm (4.8"), add 0.5" for the thickness/curve of the roof, and say 1.7" for the seat base/floor, and you reach Allan's magic 40.5" ie the minimum height possible under FIA Appendix J rules!

OK it's probably wrong but it sounds pretty convincing to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif!

So if Keith gets a CAV, I want a real one - any colour will do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Thanks!

Rob

Keith

OK Rob, hands up. I'll share the prize with you. Hmmmm, let's see, I'll have it Thursdays (pension day) Saturday night (cruising day) Sunday (racing day!) - you can have it the rest of the week. Dutch on the gas? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Mmmm... Tell you what Keith, I'll have it all Summer and you can have all Winter. Or I'll have it for the next 30 years and you can have it for the 30 years after that? The choice is yours.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rob

[ QUOTE ]
I have to win and I don't want a car as a prize. About 1 hour with Claudia Schiffer would suffice.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what would you do with the last 59 minutes? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
The same as the first minute, fifty nine times.
New product on the market: Proziagra - If you dont succeed, who cares? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
Size does matter - I've trained and trained to get to my optimum and also so I can reach the pedals on a go-kart.

The same as the first minute, fifty nine times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Give Claudia a call, after reading this thread she may well pay you a visit! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keith

Rob, thats mean. I'll most certainly be dead in 30 years and everyone who knows me, knows that I retire into the batcave during the winter months with a fresh load of straw and a few cases of St Emilion. Still, you are the authority whilst mine was a guess. I'll reluctantly concede defeat and count myself fortunate to be the first loser. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Back