Building a 1/24 kit

He put a lot of effort into that kit. I'd have to say it's on a par with those Exoto build-ups. I know someone who is working on a street version of that kit. Fujimi does make a nice model.

Too bad my eyesight isn't what it used to be. As if 1:24 isn't small enough, there are some nice 1:43 scale kits out there.

Jim

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I used to build kits, but that guy takes it to a level I never imagined possible with a 1/24 kit. As good as that kit is, check out the work of Gerald Wingrove. He does hand-made replicas that are almost indistinguishable from the real thing - except for the scale!

http://www.geraldwingrove.com/

Attachments

• 54218-alfas.jpg
    54218-alfas.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 407
[ QUOTE ]
As good as that kit is, check out the work of Gerald Wingrove. He does hand-made replicas that are almost indistinguishable from the real thing - except for the scale!

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I could find a web site to show you the Simplex models that Edgar Roy built. After restoring a few real Simplex cars, he built a couple of ~1/6th scale models that worked (complete with functioning gearboxes and engines). The only thing he wasn't able to make was the sparkplugs and the magneto, so the engines used glowplugs. Everything else he either machined or cast in his basement.

The only problem with the little cars is that he didn't have a 1/6th scale driver, so they could only be operated on a table top.

If you have access to Automobile Quarterly, you can see an article about his cars in volume #29, issue #1.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Not quite a GT40, but if you want to see a very accurate Lola T70 check this out :: T70 .

And also here:::: LolaT70

I couldn't get access to his other models for some reason, but I think he does GT40's also.
Very nice details.
Regards Brian

Mick's model is very very nice, but in some point i do not like that.
mainly the rear wheels, that at all seems so bigger than the rest of the car (here u can see real one http://www.racingicons.com/gt/finish.htm ).
Anyway an impressive model with a lot of detail, including resin and photo etched parts.
I am a modeller and i have a big modelling store in Milano, this is my work here...and i am really tempted to make in 1/24 scale a model of one of your cars (i like a lot the blue Simon car).
The only problem is that almost here in Iatly is hard to have some fujimi kits, but searching a lot i was able to find a Mk1 from fujimi and a better one done by Union models from the '80s (an mk2).

Working mainly over military subjects i cannot decide so many times what i can build in my free time.
really hope soon to start my own gt40, and to post here the link of my work in progress.

If u like modelling and u wanna see some of mine one look at my msn comunity here:
http://groups.msn.com/ALSOLDATINOMODELLISMO/deltaintegralemontecarlo92.msnw

paul

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Love GT40..

Trust me, the old Union Mk II kit is NOT better than the Fujimi kit!!! It is the older than old IMC kit and is neat, but not even close to correct!

Keep building them and don't glue your fingers together!
Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hihih..i wellknow what u mean, i made one of that Union kit several years ago..should still have that in the shop and will take some pics of that tomorrw afternoon(and post here if i can).I mean is better in some points than Fujimi just cause is a better base to work on (even for the possibility to make open doors, that Fujimi does not...without a transkit for them).
Also the many many options they gave were interesting, but generally the detail was lower than today kits (in my opinion..the best commercial ones remains always tamiya kits for 1/24 scale, but they never made a gt40).
The same matter is for Porsche 917k, but the 2 i made (one scratchbuilted at 80%) were both sold when finished.

will do that tomorrow, if i can

Paul /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Shilton does nice models but they are built to order at a price out of my league!! He does not do a GT40 yet. But he has a Lotus 47 (it might be a 62) in the pipeline and a Chaparral 2F.
The Union is no match for the newer Fujimi . For a start it uses the moulds from the IMC 1960 kit in 1/25 scale. If you look closely at this kit the sill especially on the MKII have wood grains moulded in. These IMC moulds were sold to Testor and release in a series called the Fast Fords. Then the Japanese took them over and released some of them under the Union banner.
Regards Allan

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The IMC MKII molds also did a turn with AMT around 1969 when they released the kit. I remember my first IMC MK I in 1965....I was very impressed.....I didn't know how far off much of it was, I was just impressed with all the "working" features and facts like the windscreen not fitting didn't bother me. The engines on these are way underscale, on the mark of 1/28,1/30 as I remember.
Still a good intro to the '40....
Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Shilton does nice models but they are built to order at a price out of my league!! He does not do a GT40 yet. But he has a Lotus 47 (it might be a 62) in the pipeline and a Chaparral 2F.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does he have a web site?

Does Shilton have a website? I honestly do not know. I saw him recently at the Stoneleigh Historic Racing Car Show. He had a built Austin Healey 100 in black and red. I know he builds to order. Perhaps if you use your search engine and type in Shilton you might find a website!
Regards Alllan

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hello Ben !!
Just go back up about 10 posts, to my earlier reply, and click on the first link. I just tried it, and it takes you right to his site. The second link goes to another site, that has additional information on it.
Regards Brian

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
First it was the Jacket..... Got that......after 1 month of wearing it every day finally washed it and spent a nervous 10 minutes waiting for the inner liner to run (it didnt).

Then there was the ford that beat ferrari, had to get that.... then had to get 'Ford GT40' with the parts diagrams.....

And now while waiting for my chassis to arrive I've gone and started this....

Look in the 'Kits' section, not what you think...lol

www.gt40.cc

Every time I look at this forum it costs me......stop it.....all of you........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Doc Watson

Attachments

• 61343-body02.jpg
    61343-body02.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 389
Back