GT40 pics

I have just made the acquaintance of a very talented artist. I met him at a Harley Davidson show at a local dealer. He is an avid motorcycle guy. Most of his work is in pen and ink, and are of bikes. Some are the technical aspects of them. His only car to be drawn to date is a 59 Cadillac that he loves. I convinced him to do one of a GT40. He would like to venture out into the Automotive market, particularly the racing end of it.
He is a very interesting fellow in that he only does originals, does not own a computer, but wants to get into the 21st century with a web site and all. He spends all of his spare time doing the drawings and going to the local motorcycle shows. He has a house, and garage full of these drawings(bikes) and goes to local shows trying to sell them. He feels that he is unable to afford to go to the national shows because of the cost involved. Travel, time, vendor space etc. Unfortunately most of the people attending these local shows are on bikes and can't take them with them so they don't buy them. The day I bought this one, it was his only sale of the day.
His style is what is interesting, it is in what is referred to as "crosshatch". I think you will agree, he does a bangup job. Since his paintings are originals, he is slow to add any backdrop to the print. If it doesn't look right, he is out of a lot of time and a painting. It usually takes him about a week to complete just one drawing. If he were to make a go of it, he might consider doing a limited number of prints, assuming their would be an interest in one particular print. The equipment is expensive, or the process depending on who does it. So he would have to be making money, or the prospect of it to do it.
He frames all his pictures at present because he has to display them. He hasn't moved to nonreflective glass either. Curently he uses UV protected glass because he has to display them outdoors, and doesn't want the paper to start yellowing. So taking the pics of his work was a little difficult with all the reflections. I eventually would shoot the pics at an angle(upward) to get a dark surface(the overhang of the building) as the reflection. Then I cleaned the pics up with the computer. Be mindful, it makes the pics a little distorted doing it this way. But I wanted you to see the detail in the work.Most are 17 1/2"x24", some larger.
Anyone wanting a piece done, can either send a pic of what they want drawn(their own car) of one that they have seen or have on their computer. It will be sent without the frame and glass for obvious reasons. Price will be in the $100-150 range depending on how much you want in the pic. Say if you wanted the background to have a blur of the crowd from one of the "Original" pics", it would be more. Or one of the overpass bridges from some of the historic tracks for instance. I gave him the idea of doing a background and putting it on mylar and use as a template to create the backdrop or filler for the print. He is open to ideas.
This first painting is of Bud Jones car I believe. Correct me if I am wrong. I wanted a competition scene for the first one. You can see how he translated it into the drawing. You could have a side, front or rear or top shot. Since he loves the technical drawings more, maybe he could do a partial shot of the engine bay, or interior. Your creative ideas is all he needs. Here are the pics for you to enjoy. I would like some feedback on this "idea" or process.
Be mindful that these are not to be viewed "closeup" in that you will start "picking the details". They are the artist interpretation of the subject, and is a representation.

Attachments

• 4x6BJ_2356_D22gt40reworkedaa.jpg
    4x6BJ_2356_D22gt40reworkedaa.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 694
  • Web P1010132.jpg
    Web P1010132.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 660
  • Web P1010119.jpg
    Web P1010119.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 653
  • Web P1010120.jpg
    Web P1010120.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 636
  • Web P1010122.jpg
    Web P1010122.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 637
  • Web P1010124.jpg
    Web P1010124.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 636
  • Web P1010127.jpg
    Web P1010127.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 619
  • Web P1010128.jpg
    Web P1010128.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 632
  • Web P1010129.jpg
    Web P1010129.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 646
  • Web P1010114.jpg
    Web P1010114.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 600

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
That is great work! I sort of do art but all on a computer and with a laser, I reproduce images on stone, primarily black Granite. I have a special black granite that comes from Northern China and has the tightest grain structure of any granite. The laser fractures the crystals and creates the 8 shades of gray dependent of number of firing per given area. Here is a picture of my best friend and myself in the Poconos in 93, the piece is 32X54 inches and 3/8 inch thick. So I guess I am advertising my skills, I do plan on introducing myself under the vendor section and will do so later on. We also have a cnc waterjet and router for custom fabrication of parts. Anyway I didn't mean to steal your thunder but looked like a good time to jump in.

Attachments

• small countach.jpg
    small countach.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 520
  • DSCN3117.jpg
    DSCN3117.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 510
Would still like some feed back on these drawings. I thought they were great. Would really go with any posters that you might have in your garage. I like it so much I have made it my avatar.
Do any of you know about print making? The prices, the process? If this guy could get into that then I am sure the price of them would come down. But they are originals, and it could be of your car, which would make it unique. Thoughts...

Bill

Back