looking for biographies

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I am looking for biographies of the following race drivers:

-Ken Miles
-Phil Hill
-Juan Manuel Fangio

I thought I would ask around here as I can find some of them on various lists, etc, but that is not the same thing as an informed opinion from folks who might have read them. Any information would be appreciated.

By way of reciprocating in advance: I recent read Mark Donohue's republished autobiography, which is called The Unfair Advantage, and recommend it highly. It took a while to get from Amazon (I think it was being reprinted) but is is quite a good read and well worth the wait and effort. There is also a book ABOUT Donohue, called Technical Excellence At Speed, which is okay but really not as good as Donohue's first-hand account of things.

I would love to hear from other forum members with recommendations. I won't be driving any of my enthusiast cars before too long, as it gets cold here and maybe snows as well, so anything to help pass the winter nights would be welcome. Of course, I COULD wire the GT40s dashboard- and hopefully I will.

Somewhere I have a bio of Juan Manuel Fangio that must have been published in the 60's. I'll have to see if I can find it to post the title

Cheers

Fred W B

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Actually I don't know of it; I'm just beginning to do all the reading I ought to have done years ago and was too busy reading about boating and medicine to do....it's fun reading about the golden age of motorsport in the US and Europe, although I realize now that this was all going on around me and that if I had been a little smarter I could have seen these guys race and maybe met some of them.

Of course, I could have bought a GT40 back then, too, couldn't I, and had an original one. Now I could be rebuilding an original car....come to think of it, maybe I was smart to wait. If I change something from original on 1149, no one could care less. If I did it on an original 60s car, I'd be in trouble, wouldn't I...

Thanks to all and please keep suggestions coming. Is there a biography of Jacky Ickx, by the way?

Back