1/8 scale G-W engine with ZF

Wow, that is "way cool" (as the youngins would say). Is this being offered in kit form? Who do I half to kill to get one?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I seriously want one of those. What a great desk accessory. I hope I can get one.

I'll even put it together if I absolutely HAVE to.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
This superb model was developed by a chap named Mad Mike who is a member on the Scale Motor Cars forum.
I am watching this one for a release date and I really hope he does launch it as a kit.

Here is a link :

1/8 Ford GT40 302 Gurney Eagle sbc engine

Membership is required to visit this forum regularly.

Hello everyone,

first of all, I want to thank all of you who post such great pics and infos here.
Without you, my GT40 engine model wouldn't have been possible (or it would at least have looked a lot more amateurish). Especially JimmyMacs pics were a great help!

As you might guess now I'm the guy who built the prototype model for this engine kit, and you can order your copy here: http://fein-design-modell.de/18-gt40-motor/ and see pictures here https://www.facebook.com/feindesignmodell
or see pictures of the prototype in the Scalemotorcars link JimmyMac mentioned above.
I have to tell you sincerely that it's worth every Cent of the 499 Euros it costs, the folks of Fein Design put in a lot of work, there are tons of detail stuff and the casting quality of the resin parts is outstanding.

One other thing: I used the abbreviation "sbc" for "small block" and figured it was as popular as bbc for big block. I'm sorry if that's not correct, but here in Germany you have a tough time finding guys to talk engine tech and learn about stuff like that ;)

Hello everyone,

first of all, I want to thank all of you who post such great pics and infos here.
Without you, my GT40 engine model wouldn't have been possible (or it would at least have looked a lot more amateurish). Especially JimmyMacs pics were a great help!

As you might guess now I'm the guy who built the prototype model for this engine kit, and you can order your copy here: http://fein-design-modell.de/18-gt40-motor/ and see pictures here https://www.facebook.com/feindesignmodell
or see pictures of the prototype in the Scalemotorcars link JimmyMac mentioned above.
I have to tell you sincerely that it's worth every Cent of the 499 Euros it costs, the folks of Fein Design put in a lot of work, there are tons of detail stuff and the casting quality of the resin parts is outstanding.

One other thing: I used the abbreviation "sbc" for "small block" and figured it was as popular as bbc for big block. I'm sorry if that's not correct, but here in Germany you have a tough time finding guys to talk engine tech and learn about stuff like that ;)

Hello Michael, understand where you are coming from. Typically SBC = Small Block Chevy, this is why some folks above questioned it. SBF = Small Block Ford.

Hope that helps, great looking model

Kevin

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Mike and welcome aboard,
So glad this worked out for you and FDM are reproducing your prototype model, it is well deserved praise indeed.
Pray tell us what your next project is ?
:thumbsup:

As a matter of fact I am working on a 1/8 scale GT40 Mk1 right now, for now it will be a curbside model only though. But it's a real looker, sitting on my desk in that size!
On the engine side I have done the 427 FE Cobra engine and I'm planning on making the GT40 Mk2 version complete with the Kar Kraft transmission, but with a factory crossram system like it was installed in the Lola T160. Just love crossrams! And I want to do a Can-Am Chevy big block too.

Thanks Kevin for pointing that sbc thing out, I won't embarass myself any more now ;)

By the way, does anybody know where to get good reference material on the Ford Boss 429 engine, measurements and drawings maybe? I'd really like to make a model of that one and any help would be really appreciated!

Hello Olivier,
almost all of the parts were printed on a Stratasys Eden 500 machine with a light-curing liquid plastic. The process is somewhere between SLA and inkjet printing and allows for a layer thickness of 15 microns. The setup of the parts on the building platform has to be chosen wisely to minimize finishing work. To achieve the clean parts on my model I had to do a lot of finishing still, sanding with 400 and 600 grit and fine sandblasting.
The Webers were made on an Envisiontec SLA machine and needed almost no sanding due to the very fine layers of about 10 microns height (=0.01mm)!

I'm interested in ordering...these links don't seem to work. Anyone else had any luck? Alternatives?

Ron

Hello everyone,

Today I met the owner of Fein Design Models in Germany.
AMAZING craftsmanship and a real artisan. Compared to a Amalgam Bugatti engine this 1/8 engine is 100x better. You would almost start it; the twin-choke Weber carbs are stunning high detail. "Resin plastic", metal parts and hundreds of screws.
My photos are too high res to post here :-( need to scale down first
Be quick to order one.....you snooze you lose

Last edited:
Back