Chassis Drawings/Blueprints

Has anyone out there built their own monocoque chassis? If so, where did you get drawings? I want to build my own chassis. I've built one kit and, as an engineer, want more of a challenge. Want to replicate the Mirage style chassis of 1074, so basic drawings that I could modify would be great.

As an addition to this thread, thought you might all find this update interesting...

Below is the latest state of chassis drawing upon which I am working... it is dimensionally accurate from original chassis.

However, before you all ask, I am unable to share the measurements as they were given to me on the basis that I kept them confidential, which I intend to do given the trust that was shown in supplying them to me...

mainchassis3D.jpg

As you can see, there is still a long way to go, but progress is being made, and I will get there!

Drawing is being done in AutoCAD using classic left/top/front perpectives and a SW isometric...all to nearest mm (subject to mearurement errors!)

Rgds

Neil

[ January 02, 2003: Message edited by: Neil Strenge ]

Neil,

Yer just a tease. Not only will you not share your drawings
frown.gif
but yer photo doesn't even come up.

Doug

Sorry Doug...

Just rebooting server now, so picture will be back shortly
wink.gif

Rgds

Neil

[ January 19, 2003: Message edited by: Neil Strenge ]

Would be nice to have that in Inventor as it is 3D and has pretty good sheet metal tools, etc.

[ January 19, 2003: Message edited by: Gary Gibbs ]

Looks great. If you are ever able to release that info I'd like a copy. I've been wanting to make a 1/12th scale GT40. I've been thinking that if I can't finish a 1/12th scale model I'll never be able to make a fullsize one.

Thanks,

Doug

Gents,

Thanks for the posts. I've got some good news and bad news on the drawing front. The good news is that Dave Brown of Classic Car Developments in New Zealand, having just completed the third, and completely accurate, hand built monocoque in his shop is currently producing a set of drawings for the more convicted among us home engineering types. They'll come with photos of a chassis in construction etc. He's taking his time completing them as they'll serve as his definative workshop drawings for his business as well as for sale.

If you're interested, you can write to him in NZ. However, considering the amount of research and effort that has gone into producing a full set of legible engineering drawings, there are those who would consider them expensive(depending on your viewpoint I suppose).

I am going to purchase a set as I'm set on producing a modified chassis for my replica of #1074 (Gulf #10, Le Mans '68). All I need now is to get my current sports car sold to make way for the project (and help fund it).

The bad news is that I'm still putting the new engine in my current car so it'll be another month before I can even consider selling it.

Ah well, no rush.

Stew Staudinger

Soon to be handbuilt monocoque
1968 Gulf #10 reproduction
302 w/downdraft throttle bodies (Weberish) [email protected]

hey stew
no further postings??!! it seemed to be a very interesting topic earlier in the forum about 18 months ago everyone was interested in chassis blueprints?!? i ordered a set and am anxiously awaiting arrival!!!!!!!! have you received anything yet? i've revived my old sheet metal buddies and we're putting a shop together!! i have one problem-------- they want to build airplanes-- guess i'll be the only one building a car(mabye i can convince them it can really fly!?!?! well it can can't it??!!) the things we have to do to follow our dreams!!!! oh if anyone is interested i have "ZF" transmission manuals on CD and i believe the parts are across the counter available!! if there is any interest to have an original tranny! well keep us posted with your progress!!!!

Hi Folks

I am a total newbie at this business of posting - this is the 5th time this damn page has accused me of being invalid. If this works - here is my story. I have for a long long time nursed the idea of having a GT40 in original form - almost 40 years.

Now I have the time and resources to create a complete car in Solidworks CAD - and make many of the sheet metal pressings required. I do not want to make all - too old and impatient for that sort of time. What I can do is set up a site where the drawings are done and can be downloaded by those who want them - obviously I also need people to contribute dimensions.

Anyone with the resources could make some components - and enough doing that should enable access by all to a complete set of monocoque parts at reasonable prices. Here I can handle some of the larger parts and build also an assembly fixture accessible by anyone close to Sweden. My own need is three sets of parts - I have two partners similarly smitten.

Anyone interested please contact me - I have attached (I hope) a drawing in jpeg format from a quick test of solidworks sheet metal tools. It is not dimensioned or detailed accurately. Just a test that took half a day only for the 3 components and the assembly.

Frank Williams

Attachments

• 22722-side ass 04.jpg
    22722-side ass 04.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 3,435
hi frank
i have similar aspirations, am wanting to build a gt40 chassis from scratch. been looking for years, hoping to find drawings!! i believe an earlier post by stew leads us to dave brown of classic car developements of nz. he is our best bet for drawings, as he has built 4 complete cars to date from raw sheet metal to finished product. i hear his cars are almost identical(not having a registration plate saying so being the only difference) i've contacted people the world over and the closet i got was 35,000 dollars for the set(a little steep for me). the only other way is to measure an original gt40inch by inch(or cm by cm for you)
translate the drawings and build one through trial and error. if you do get a drawing let us know we will support you in your effort in any way we can. i being a purist wish to build a chassis that is original by all means all i need are plans or drawings to go by . thanks for your tenacity and forge ahead!!!!!!!!!!!

hi frank
i have similar aspirations, am wanting to build a gt40 chassis from scratch. been looking for years, hoping to find drawings!! i believe an earlier post by stew leads us to dave brown of classic car developements of nz. he is our best bet for drawings, as he has built 4 complete cars to date from raw sheet metal to finished product. i hear his cars are almost identical(not having a registration plate saying so being the only difference) i've contacted people the world over and the closest i've gotten was 35,000 dollars for the set(a little steep for me). the only other way is to measure an original gt40inch by inch(or cm by cm for you)
translate the drawings and build one through trial and error. if you do get a drawing let us know we will support you in your effort in any way we can. i being a purist wish to build a chassis that is original by all means all i need are plans or drawings to go by . thanks for your tenacity and forge ahead!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Joe

Had to take a few months to do some unexpected and urgent "proper job" stuff but we are back now into the GT40 drawings. So far back to the front bulkhead with some dimensions to be corrected and the suspension points in the right place and looking good - post maybe attached.

Idea is still to make the component drawings freely available.

Looking forward to some real progress over the next month or so. BTW, both inches, millimetres and the American mil work for me - cm is for European housebuilders - not us old kiwi engineers.

Frank

Attachments

• 27985-test assem9.jpg
    27985-test assem9.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 3,729
That is really cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Two can play at this game. I guess it is about time I came out of the closet. Perfect originality is not my goal, but it is still going to be pretty close.

Attachments

• 28009-chassis_2003-12-29.jpg
    28009-chassis_2003-12-29.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 3,677
Adam, we have so many stars on this website, it is a veritable galaxy! You guys are just amazing!
Happy New Year to everyone.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Frank and Adam,
Amazing work! This is the stuff that makes our forum shine. I luv it when I see the skills of our members exhibited here. I look forward to the next installment. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Please stay with it and keep us all up to date.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back