Rear bodywork fastener

Having read in the past about the rear bodywork blowing open on a GT40, I'm a bit concerned that mine is only held down with two small clips. I'd like to fit clips like the one's in the enclosed picture. Are these available as a diy fittment package or are they made up by individual owners.
Thanks
Simon

Attachments

• 34386-40-clip.jpg
    34386-40-clip.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 315
Hi Simon
I fitted two catches just like those. They came from the local scrapyard as standard bonnet catches. (Can't remember which car, but most are very similar). On my KVA, there were already two support brackets on the chassis which had been used by the previous owner to fit the vertical pin type which protrude through the rear body when closed and are secured by a spring clip. No way would these pass the SVA, so they were replaced. On the underside of the rear body, I made some aluminium box section supports for the spring loaded prongs. These spread the load to the fibreglass. It's all a tight fit (isn't it funny how with such a big car, everything is a tight fit!).
To release the catches, two small levers pass inside the car and are just slid sideways.
Hope this helps

Dave Tickle

Hi Simon

Thought I recognised the picture - car 010 aka - Robin Batt's 'Yellow Peril' from the GTD section of the GT40 Register on the club website.

Anyone wishing to include their car also - please mail me details - the more the merrier! (members or not!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would like to find one like that shown (similar to the CAV) but that works opposite hand from one side to the other. There is a bit of tight clearance between the cable release and the roll bar plate on one side, but not the other. The reason is that both latches are identical not opposite hand. Anyone have ideas on this one?

Chris Duncan

Supporter
The best selection of hood/trunk latches that I know of is in the states, hot rod suppliers, Sachse Rod Shop

http://www.sachserodshop.com/main.htm

check their catalog under hood latches

IMHO the only bad thing about these types of latches is you can't easily confirm they are shut, many have a safety catch just for that reason.

Check out these stainless captive hood pins from Speedway Motors.

91007310.jpg

Speedway hood pins

I just installed a set of early Mustang hold downs.

Attachments

• 34488-DSCF0027.JPG
    34488-DSCF0027.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 285

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Unfortunately, it does not matter how many sets of fasteners we fit, they only work if they are USED.

Regarding the "Mini clips", I think that these are great but I shudder every time I see someone "slamming " the rear of their GT40 shut to get these clips to lock. I would hope that if they were fitted correctly that a more gentle push would sufice.

Best wishes,

Robert

Ron Earp

Admin
Yep, only good if used /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I think some joker driving a silver GT40 at run and gun drove off when their hatch unbuttoned. I heard about it, but didn't see it! Who would do something like that?!

Hershal's look great countersunk into the body, just like they belonged there from the beginning.

To Robert Logan

These bonnet style catches do not need to be slammed to close them, but they do need a firm push.

To Kalun_D

These are the bonnet pins I mentioned in my earlier post, because they protrude outside the body, they will not pass the UK SVA test.

Regards

Dave Tickle

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Simon

I remember this post where pins were pushed through fron the passenger compartment into the rear clip to ensure it was cloased. The positioning would not allow the door to be closed unless the pin was home (closed) position. The following is the post and picture.

To me this looks like the safest bet on any type of retainer.

Ian

Re: GT40 fails parachute brake tests in Scotland
#24108 - Thu Oct 30 2003 03:40 PM Attachment (1 downloads)

Back