Door Latches

Anyone know of a source in the U.S. for door latches, I know that they come from a triumph 1500, or sprint, I haven't been able to source these here, and the one pair I have in hand have no marking whatever on them...any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks
Phil

Chris Duncan

Supporter
That's funny I was at another local forum members house looking at his build just last week. One of the things I noticed was his dual rotor "Bear Claw" latches. The next day I ordered some single rotor "Bear Claw" latches from BALL'S Rod and Custom (CA location). They arrived 2 days later and they are sweet, brand new, and only $45.00 for the pair. The salesman tried to sell mounting plates and linkages, but I'm going to make all that stuff since it's a custom application.

Sachse Rod Shop has a better selection of different hood/door/trunk latches and a better description/info about the Bear Claw latch. From the index.. door, latches, pg 169 (pdf). I researched and made my decision there and then ordered from Ball's because they were closer to home.

I don't know how this compares to a kit company product like say Toronado which lists

40-86* Replica exterior door handles ( polished alloy ). (pair) $75

40-87* Door handle recess mouldings, catches, strikers, polished interior release handles, pushrods and return springs complete with all fixings. (pair) $293

end quote

I supose it depends how much you want to try to fabricate and how much money out of pocket you want to spend.

If you added the mount plates and linkages to the Bear Claws the price would be closer and they might not work on a GT40. You also have to compare shipping between Britian and local in the US.

Kalun
Thanks for the reply....I have seen the bear claws on a couple of street rod buildups, the actually look a lot more secure than the latches I am after, but the only concern I have is the mechanism which unlocks the latch. The latches I have now have a lever in the vertical plane which is attached to a small handle that comes thru the door just behind the shoulder...like the original. Also a flat faced lever on the back of the latch which when pushed inward unlocks the mechanism...this is operated by the pushrod in the door handle mechanism...I am sure this is familiar to you. I am wondering how you acheived a smooth operation of the bear claw, and if you did was it a major hassle. I would use those in a heartbeat if they worked well.
Thanks
Phil

My RF latches were from a Ford, but I don't know which one. They are reversed in the GT40, i.e., the one stamped L goes on the right-hand door and the one stamped R goes on the left door. Installing the door hardware was one of the most tedious and least enjoyable aspects of my GT40 build. I can't imagine trying to fabricate something from scratch.

Back