CAV Aircon Fill

Does anyone with a CAV 40 know the exact amount of refrigerant for the Aircon System. My man that does the fill needs a number to make sure he doesn't over fill the unit.
Thanks Vic
CAV40 up and running

In your instructional manual it states how many " BARS " should be put in. I got the conversion table on the internet and it came to about 27 lbs. max. To be safe I put in about 21 lbs. so I would not over fill it. It has run cold ever since. Please don't take my word for it in case I forgot and gave you the wrong numbers. Double check what I told you. Joe

Hi Vic,

The suction side should show about 18 lbs at 1500 RPM. The high side should show no more than 180-200 MAX, otherwise you could blow a hose. Normally, an automotive system will use 2 cans of refrigerant; also referred to as 'pounds or bottles' (Freon is Dupont’s trade name, the real name is dichlorodifluoromethane). On a system as small as CAV's, 2 bottles should be fine, unless he is filling from a 30 Lb cylinder. If so, he may have a mechanism to measure it. If not, if the system has a sight-glass inline, then charge the system till the bubbles in the system go away. Another way to do this is to put a temp gauge in an outlet and charge till the air coming out is +/-35 degrees. Any colder, and you run the risk of freezing up the evaporator coil. Charging the system should be no sweat for a good auto AC guy. Did you evacuate it well? At least 2 hours is best. You may also want to run a flush-charge through it. (Nothing more than a 1Lb charge that you quickly evacuate out. This will ‘absorb’ any moisture in the system if it has been open a while. Doing so will save your receiver dryer. Good luck… Sounds like you are almost there.

Back