Uprights needed

Can anyone tell me who in the US is selling uprights i need both front and rear for a scratch built frame. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ernest,

I've been looking into this to a small extent. The route I'm planning on taking at the moment is to use either Corvette C5 or Honda S2000 uprights. This way I have the spindles, bearings, half shafts, et cetra taken care of. Part of the decision depends on how you'll connect the uprights to the frame and what size tire you want to run. I would be interested to hear if anyone comes up with other suggestions.

Aaron

I am looking into the corvette uprights , dont know how big a tire you can run on the honda set up. Mostly tire size will be desided by the a arm set ups used . still need to do more research to figure it all out. What i want to do is get all parts together before i start building the frame, that way i will have all my measurements together. i am still measuring the body shell so i can figure frame width and length for all componets .

Ernest and Aaron
I have been working on a set of uprights that will handle the larger wheels required and thus the tires. I am currently in the machining phase having fabricated a test pair out of sheet alum (6061), they are very labor intensive this way. I would gladly post some photos but not being the knowledgeable photographer I took them in hi-res and the files are way too big to post here. Essentially the uprights will mount a 15" wheel, 12" wide with no offset. The bearings and hubs are off the shelf items. I will endeavor to re-size the photos I have and post them. Essentially I went through the same dilemma as you and decided to go the one off route (many months later!) I am currently working on making the caliper mounts work in such a way that any caliper can be mounted if desired.
Cheers
Phil

Try 1989 through 1997 T-Bird IRS units. They beefy and plentiful and with some creative suspension geometry they just might work.

Good luck.

Denis Bedford

Denis Bedford
Here is a picture of uprights I have built by modifying Jaguar Xj6 rears the attachment is a casting that is bonded(special epoxy)and then bolted to the existing upright which already has all the hubs, bearings, caliper brackets etc they work good and are pretty easy to come by. these one are from what we call Jaguar X300 (about 1993) not sure that it is called X300 in the states

Denis, try to resize the picture; I'd like to see what you've been doing.

The Thunderbird option is one I hadn't thought of.

Aaron

Denis Bedford

Denis Bedford
Sorry guys I am having to much trouble posting the pics my little brain is not good with this computer stuff I have sent the pics to Ernest if he can post I am sure he will Regards Denis

Gary

I think Ron upped us to 350k.
Windows "Paint" program is also pretty easy to use.
Right click on the photo, left click edit/image/stretch & skew/reduce the values/then save.

MikeD

Upright 5 on 5"and 5 on 4 1/2" it will take a 930 CV and 13"brakes I have moor pitchers

Attachments

• 68823-GTSpindelsmal.JPG
    68823-GTSpindelsmal.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 543
Thanks to all that posted . it give me a few things to look at. before i decide which way to go.

Devin

Supporter
Bill,

I have been looking at the T-bird hub as well and am trying to decided whether to go with the Ford front(mustang II type)/rear Tbird hub or the C4/5 corvette donor suspension set ups.

After seeing your hub, I am definately leaning to the Ford setup. I like the idea of keeping with the Ford name on all my parts if possible.

Is the driveline attachment point/adaptor a standard Porsche part or a Ford that will bolt directly to the Porsche axle?

Here's a question to the entire crowd...what wheels are easier to buy/find? Ones with a Ford or Chevy bolt pattern (considering both BRM & Halibrand look)?

Devin

All we use is the Lincoln mark 8 up right,and Timken baring. The hub in the pitcher is the prototype. The Hub we have now is one piece and out of heat treated steel. The micro shaft spindle and hub has a larger spline than a mark 8 and we made to fit the 930 Porsche CV. We made them for the Giant at 720 HP and 2800 pounds and large contact patch I have axles to fit this set up to and can do then in any length. I have used all we made so far. If there is enough interest I could do moor. PS. we can do any wheel pattern you wont Bill E

Attachments

• 69169-Uprightsmall.JPG
    69169-Uprightsmall.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 495
I hope I haven't missed this, but,if one were to use your uprights, how will that alter(or will it) the position of the tires. What I am getting at is, will the wheels that I already have work, or will the offset have to be changed, waranting a new set of wheels. Will they use the other hardware or will that have to be changed/altered as well(rod ends,arm lenghts etc.). I like the idea of the 930 axels as I am using a 930 box.

Bill

Back