Getting in Balance

I'll post this question here but it really is for anyone who can help to respond.

I think I I'm between a rock and a hard place. My lump is a SBF that has been taken .030 over so it's 306 CI. The heads are twisted Force and I will be running an 8 stack injection and a medium grind Cam. The block is a 89 vintage that takes a 28 once damper.

My problem is that I do not have an old flywheel to mirror balance the RF flywheel for this motor. I suspect that without that as a starting point I will have to tear the motor down and have the whole thing rebalanced with the RF Flywheel. Before I take that drastic step iIwas looking for alternate suggestions.

Peter

Peter,

Had the piston,s /rods of your motor been balanced weight for weight prior to assy or even before you bought it.

If so after you remove the crank assy,[turn the motor upside down, remove timing cover etc, place plastic hose over rod bolts to prevent damage, Lift crank out].

Number one rod and piston can be removed from a SB Ford from the bottom in order for the people to compute a bob weight for balancing purposes. Getting that piston back in takes a bit of patience with an old style ring compresser but it can be done.

NB.. Only use this method if you are sure that the pistons/rods have had their weights equalised.

Jac Mac

Peter I went through the same thing. I tore down my already bal. short block and took the crank , 1 rod/piston, flywheel,balancer and clutch to the machine shop. After they had the motor balanced, they attached the pressure plate , indexed it and fine balanced that to the engine. Mine is 28oz too.Good to "see" you hope all is well.

Back