Early KVA Chassis Design

When I bought my KVA originally I had no real idea of the different chassis designs, C-type etc for the KVA. After doing some investigation and with help from the forum I now fully understand what the different set ups are and the changes that were made. Being an early car mine did have a cortina front end and trailing arm (I think you call it) rear suspension. Probably as far away from an original set up as you could get. When I had my first go in the car over a year and a half ago it was to say the least dangerous. I had the front end cut off and installed wishbones at the front. I was more than pleased to get rid of the cortina parts.

From driving my KVA over the last few days (and after sorting my carb problem) I am more than impressed with how my car handles even with the existing rear suspension design. I took it for a good thrash last night and it had no bump steer and does not drift or crab up the road. I could not fault how this layout works on the road. It may be a different story on the track but that is not really what I bought this car for. I know that from a looks point of view the old KVA rear suspension is not what you would call very sophisticated but I have to say it works ok.

What were the real problems with this design?. I know that building a replica most people want their car as close to the original as possible, but is there any other reason why this design is classed as being flawed when in use.

For my project during next year I am going to complete the transformation of my car and change the rear set up as I did the front. However at the moment I am just pleased to be able to finally use my GT40.

Thanks Brian

Those pics will help when I make a start on the rear set up changes. After finishing off my car I can appreciate exactly how much work Ivan is having to do!!

Howard Jones

Supporter
These cars are really like a girlfriend. If they make you happy then they will do just fine. As far as the rear suspension goes. If you truly are happy with the performance of your car as it is then I say damn the critics and enjoy you hard won accomplishment. Go ahead and drive it awhile and when YOU can see the benefit in modifications then do it on your own timetable.

All these cars can be improved upon. Just look at what some of the guys are doing to brand new CAV's and the like. The most important thing is to make the car safe and keep it that way as you begin to make modifications.

Be careful what materials you use and who welds up your suspension parts. Be sure to have someone who is familiar and experienced with the special requirements of fabrication and welding chrome for example. Also be aware that light as possible isn't really the best way to go when building a road car. There are a lot of thing that work very well on racetracks that will either waste a lot of money on unnecessary maintenance of be downright dangerous on a road car. Over reliance on rod ends is a example here. I bet I start a row with that one! Just make it good and strong. You will be a lot happier in the long term.

I personally enjoy the learning process and would recommend you review several good books on suspension fabrication and design. A good start would be the series of books, Tune to win, etc. by Carroll Smith or the race car engineering book by Paul Van Valkenburgh. There are many others. All have good stuff in them.

Have fun.

Last edited:
Hi Howard

Your comments are quite right, at the moment I just want to get some use out of her. The car, I am pleased to say drives quite smooth even with our abysmal Isle of Wight roads. I am going to do some research and try to understand better the rear suspension set ups. The re-hash done on the front of my car went quite well and I hope the rear will be the same. I will check out the books you have suggested.

I am still quite blown away by the performance this car has and the fact that I have built it!. The V8 4.5 TVR Chimera engine I have used has all the power I would need and is not far away from my TVR Griffith 500 performance. In any gear it has lots of torque and pulls very well. I just hope I have now sorted out most of the issues I had with the weber carb (boiling fuel etc!). Quite clearly I am still very infatuated with this car.

Regards

Simon

Back