Right hand drive to Left hand

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Maybe.

I say "maybe" b/c of some info I saw over the weekend regarding RHD/RHS vs LHD/RHS--the post said that the party was having to choose RHD or LHD b/c the manufacturer had in stock 2 chassis, one built for RHD and one for LHD. That leads me to believe the decision is best made as the chassis is being built.

If I had to guess, I suppose it would be possible to convert after the build, but I predict it would be quite complex and require some fabrication to say the least--there is a lot of stuff under and in that dash that would require rearranging, not to mention the dash itself, pedals, steering, master cylinders, etc.

Obviously, not for the faint of heart!

Doug

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I would imagine the answer would be yes but the financial cost would make it preferable to sell and purchase one in the configuration required.

Ian

Okay, sounds like a lot of work and $$$$. Is it acceptable in the USA to have a right hand drive car? In other words is it legal? Can I register the car with right hand drive? If so how hard is it to drive that way?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
RHD is legal in all states in the USA to my knowledge. Subaru even sells RHD cars with the postal/newspaper delivery market in mind.
Rick

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Jim,

RHD is perfectly acceptable and legal to own and operate a RHD car. Driving it well would come with practice and, maybe it's just me, I'd have to guess that 'practice time' in a GT40 would rate well above taking out the garbage or mowing the lawn. :)

Before ordering my RCR, I had the same LHD/RHD discussion that you're in the middle of. At the end of my debate, it came down to wanting every possible advantage when behind the wheel of a 40-inch tall car when on the road with some people who have no business being in posession of a drivers license in the first place -- so it was LHD model I ordered.

I'd really rather have a RHD car given that, for the most part, it was originally designed that way but given that mine is a replica (a very well done replica mind you - thanks Fran!), it just made better sense to me to go that way. When I hit the lottery, perhaps we'll be rethinking the current strategy.

There you have it. Hope this helps.

Regards,

T.

Converting RHD to LHD is not that much of a problem,,,,, depending where you start from. If the car is already built, then you have issues with dash, shifter foot pedals, and rack and pinon. If you have a partial build it is easier. If you are ordering, then it is easiest of all. It just depends on where you are and what you want. Mine was a partial build of RHD. So switching wasn't all that dificult. Having things shipped from Australia was. So I outsourced all I could. Then you run into associated problems like bumpsteer and shifter problems, which I am wrestling with now. I don't mind spending the money, just don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish. So it takes a little while to figure these things out and get them implemented. All depends on your time frame and what you want. Do your research and then pull the trigger. It's a fun route no matter which route you take.

Bill

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
RCR chassis are built specifically as RHD or LHD.

We offset the centre tunnel 2 inches,much like the original GT40 chassis.

Back