Want to made some links with adjustable ends...

Ron Earp

Admin
I want to make two stablizing rods to support my transaxle. I'd like to make them just like drag links on the rear suspension - a rod with threaded ends and two heim joins on each end.

Where do you folks get the rod to make these things with? I know a few shops have the heim joints, but I don't want to re-invent the wheel on making the rod. I know it is a basic question, but I've spent some time and money doing some dumb stuff in the past and don't want to repeat it here.....

Thanks,
Ron

There are many shops that sell the swaged tubes (speedway motors, Howe, hrpworld.com etc.). They are low cost and use on lots of dirt cars, etc.

Ron Earp

Admin
Thanks for the links, I'll check into it.

I don't think I'll need these and don't plan to make them, but just wanted to know or find source how in case it was needed.

Not knowing the size you need to use ?
All the rods on my sprint car that hold the front, and rear axles were Aluminum.
Thick wall tube, or some I think solid with end drilled and treaded for the Heim's.
Left on one end, and right on the other for EZ adjustment.
No welding needed, cut to size and thread.
Think they were 1/2 or 5/8" Heim's,
and 1" O.D. rod.
Light, and Strong !
Sprint cars take a LOT of abuse, and hold up well !
(about 700hp and 12/1300lb)
Might find some rods on ebay to ck the size of them.
I don't have any left out in the shop.
It's a thought ?

Cheer's !

Curtis

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Ron,

I think you'll find the cheapest prices in Coleman's (NASCAR/Stock Car), I have their catalog if you want to call me and we can quick figure some prices for you.

I could probably weld the thread plugs in for you as well, if you guys don't have one yet.

Lynn

OK Ron...I'll ask....why would you need to further support the 016 ?
I'd assume Fran's billet crossmember and a pair of decent tranny
mounts connected to the usual spot on the rear of the 016 would be PLENTY strong for any kind of racing.

MikeD

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
It is ...Ron was just looking at other ideas for his "race" car....
Ron and I have talked about it and I have come to realise he has too much time on his hands....

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Ron,

No matter where they come from, if they are weld ups, be sure to chase the threads before you put the rod ends in!! It's a PITA if the shank of your rod end siezes up in one of them.

Lynn

Back