Front Tow Hooks

I've seen many GT40's (real and replica) with tow/jack hooks. Does anyone know where I can get a set?

Thanks
Bill D

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
They look more like Quick-Jack bumpers like on a Cobra.. Honestly I've never seen/noticed them on a 40..

Have a look at this footage from 1966. The red #3 appears to have tow hooks, but they appear to be the full-circle style. Also, near the end, the black #2 also shows the circular tow hooks.

I love the grainy footage. Feels like the right vintage feel.....

YouTube - Ford GT40 le mans 1966

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Qick lift hooks. I use a low level hydraulic jack with a lateral bar and end stops to stop it falling off sideways. There was a thread on this way back when, and the bar is shown in that thread. Having moved house 8 months ago, things are still turning up but I can't find the bar at the moment.

Attachments

• IMG_0146.jpg
    IMG_0146.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 776
  • IMG_0145.jpg
    IMG_0145.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 671
  • IMG_0144.jpg
    IMG_0144.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 618
  • IMG_0143.jpg
    IMG_0143.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 694

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
post_old.gif
04-08-04, 03:14 AM #1 (permalink) patbarry
Gold Supporter
reputation_pos.gif

gt40_spacer.gif
user_offline.gif

Jacking Front End
I have been struggling with jacking the front end once the front clip is mounted. Many thanks go to Dave Morton for his sending pictures of how he solved the problem. (Yes, I have permission to post!)

Thanks again Dave
Attached Images
attachment.php

patbarryView Public ProfileSend a private message to patbarryFind More Posts by patbarryAdd patbarry to Your Buddy List

post_old.gif
04-08-04, 03:16 AM #2 (permalink) patbarry
Gold Supporter
reputation_pos.gif

gt40_spacer.gif
user_offline.gif

Re: Jacking Front End
And the modified jack...
Attached Images
attachment.php

patbarryView Public ProfileSend a private message to patbarryFind More Posts by patbarryAdd patbarry to Your Buddy List

post_old.gif
04-08-04, 03:17 AM #3 (permalink) patbarry
Gold Supporter
reputation_pos.gif

gt40_spacer.gif
user_offline.gif

Last one. Well done Dave!
Attached Images
attachment.php

post_old.gif
04-08-04, 05:39 AM #4 (permalink) brianstewart
A Tenth
reputation_pos.gif

gt40_spacer.gif
user_offline.gif

Brilliantly simple!

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
and how they are attached:
To many barolo's to handle the camera so its a bit blurry !

Attachments

• DSCF0312.jpg
    DSCF0312.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 750
  • DSCF0326.jpg
    DSCF0326.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 737
  • DSCF0325.jpg
    DSCF0325.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 699
David,

I guess that beats running the 40 up on a series of 2" X 6"s to get it off the ground high enough to get a floor jack under it!

Question: How sturdy is this method of lifting the front end (or the rearend for that matter)? Does this put undo stress on the frontend/ back support structure? I know in race conditions, this is the way they did it. But for me, I would have some concerns.........that flex would end up dinging something up.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Bill, I made them with Henry Atherton doing the fabricating. (he made most of the Safir tubs at Adams Mac in High Wycombe)
Gary- no problems at all. Notice that there is rod ends (spherical joints) on the hook set up triangulating the side plates.The front frame on the GTD with aluminium panelling both sides glued on and then avdel riveted is incredibly strong and there is no flexing at all. For a tow hook I will simply bolt a dural plate on the side of the left lifting hook.
The bar thats you see on the jack is stainless - I think 25mm or 30mm with a boss to sit in the centre cup on the jack and two stainless endplates to sit just outside the hook and prevent it/them from moving around as you jack it up. I'm not sure it Pat Barry made something similar.
As for the rear end, once the ZF trans is installed, there will either be another jacking point on the rear, not disimilar, or I've been looking at some air jacks that the Audi R8.R10 uses - just simply shove the airline in and voila. QED or W5
regards
Dave.

Last edited:
Go to "introduce yourself" section of this form; see page 10 "new CAV owner" dated 11-3-10 for 3 photos showing the custom made quick jacks. The photo under the rear boot shows an added brace to the jack point to keep it from bending anything. I have used a floor jack to lift the entire rear at one hook with no bending what so ever with the added support that runs from the quick jack to the rear of the tub at about 40 degree angle with heim joints at both ends. Also added the braces to the front structure. The billet hooks are one inch thick. They look great all polished up, and set back in far enough to look O.K. (IMO).......................................Forever Ford!

Back