tapping aluminum, help!

I have heard the tapping aluminum can be challenging. I am trying to complete my fuel system parts list and that lead me to the inspection plate on the fuel tank. Those little holes need to be drilled and tapped. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it just like tapping steel?

Ron Earp

Admin
It is very easy to do, much easier than steel. You won't have any problems, at least I never have with my meager skills.

Just get a good tap, proper sized bit, and go to town. I assume you are tapping into the RCR body, 1/4" thickness? That will be easy to do and you could use a lot of different thread size and pitches to work with that.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I use a heavy grease on the tap as a lubricant and also to trap chips.
I also remove the tap after each full revolution to clean the tap and re-lube it.
It takes time but your tap will not gall in the metal and your threads will be crisp.

That's the way I do it anyway..

At the very least, you should lubricate the tap...

Ron McCall

Supporter
I have had great luck tapping aluminum by spraying WD40 on the tap as you go.This keeps the aluminum from building up on the tap threads.

Use aluminum tapping fluid.....its made for the job.

Do not use an electric/power tools to tap with as it may snap the smaller taps and then you are in for a time consuming broken tap removal.....

We power tap larger holes with a tapping machine/mill but we take our time and are very patient with the finer stuff....

Last edited:
Dean,
There are taps specifically for thread cutting in Aluminium, these have deep & wide flutes so as to allow the swarf to break cleanly. However, if you are only tapping small dia holes standard taps will suffice, just ensure you remove the tap from the hole & clean regularly & use a mineral based lubricant. Personally I wouldn't use a heavy based grease as the swarf will 'stick' in the grease I could damage the thread when cutting.
Good luck.

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Dean,
While of course Fran's answer is the right one, as I truly believe there is a tool for every job, I too use Ron's method of WD-40. It works extremely well. As BigFoot mentioned, take the extra time to back the tap out to clear the chips off the tap. The end result is much cleaner sharper threads.

I don't mean to be the mother hen, but taps are very brittle and shatter when over-stressed, so please wear safety goggles whenever tapping. An employee of mine had a bit of a broken tap hit right in the center of his (OSHA) safety glasses. Spiderwebbed the lens and took a chunk out of it, but he still has 20-20 iin both eyes.:)

Cluck,cluck....

Taping fluids: Micocut or "Tap Magic" for Aluminum, both can be purchased from the sources that Fran mentioned

These are the best fluids I've found for Aluminum taping or drilling. Of course WD40 works too, but not as well as the above mentioned fluids.

BTW Micocut works really well on steel too.

The best advice I can give other than the proper fluid is to buy very high grade/quality taps. VEGA tool, Starrett, ETC.... Not local hardware store or hand tool company taps. Hand tool companies build nice hand tools not taps.

my 2 cents.

Working in the AAircraft Industry I used many different tapping fluids for Aluminum. An old timer turned me on to soft Bees wax. That is all I use now. Taping is easy and the wax picks up the chips.

Vic

Quote by fran
Do not use an electric/power tools to tap with as it may snap the smaller taps and then you are in for a time consuming broken tap removal.....

Coward.

Victor A,

You are spot on! I was trying to remember this afternoon what had been used by a guy planing a pack of ribs to size for a kit aircraft with an electric planer. WAX- it stopped the alloy sticking to the blades- should work a treat on a tap.

Jac Mac

I did forget one item of concern using the Bees Wax for taping. Be sure to clean the tap thoughly when finished as the wax does cause the tap to rust quickly.

Vic

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
Dean,

Three main things while tapping:

1. be sure to break the edge of the hole using a deburr tool or countersink, that way you'll have a nice lead in for the tap.

2. make sure you 're going into the hole straight.

3. it's okay to drill the hole about .003 larger than the normal callout depending on the load of the bolts. This makes tapping a litlle easier.

Hope this helps,

Pete

Not sure if this applies to tapping, but i have seen a friend hacksawing a shape out of a block of aluminium, he just used water on it and it cut like butter, without the water was hard going.

Lambo

Back