SVA handbrake

Hi

Does anyone have any experience getting the HiSpec Monster4 combined handbrake/rear caliper through SVA. Looks a good solution but was told that the fact that the handbrake was mechanical/hydraulic in operation (even though it has a failsafe one way valve so that the brake remains "on" even if hydraulic pressure is lost) could mean a fail.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

John

Spoke to SVA in Kent this pm . The calliper must be mechanical only therefore the monster 4 is out (I think they had been getting through but an SVA guy spotted that they were not strictly mechanical only and SVA engineers in the UK have been told to fail them:mad:).

However HiSpec have just launched a mechanical spot calliper which will meets the regs. They are emailing details this afternoon and I will post them to the site.

John

John,
I am going to try the Wilwood Handbrake caliper. Ofcourse it isn't roven on a 40 yet, but it is only mechanical.

Brett

Attachments

• DSC01662.jpg
    DSC01662.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,307
This is them attached to the hubs running a standard Granada Cosworth 278mm vented disc (pic taken when I was having Mick's rear end put on last week)

Attachments

• DSC01826.jpg
    DSC01826.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,398
Bret

Thanks for that. Do you know when you will be SVA'ing this set up?

Live quite close to you (borders east/west sussex), you'd be welcome to view Frans workings (and mine!) when it arrives.

Best

John

Hi John,
I am hoping early next year, that's with fingers very crossed!! I want to try and get the car at least driveable for Classic next year!

Brett

Hi John,
Another option is to use this type of AP caliper which I fitted to my GTD. I believe these were fitted to the Ford RS200 rally car & several types of Ferrari. This is a very sturdy mechanical caliper & wasn't to difficult to fit. Although I made the bracketry myself, Hi-spec motorsport has the CAD drgs for these as they have supplied caliper mounting hardware to Wealden Engineering for their 4 pot & 6 pot Monster brakes.

Attachments

• RR brake.JPG
    RR brake.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 3,259
John,
I am going to try the Wilwood Handbrake caliper. Ofcourse it isn't roven on a 40 yet, but it is only mechanical.

Brett

brett, ad wilwood they told me that the calipers mechanical handbrake is up to +/_ 800kg cars.............. so unless you are making a 2/3rd model don't park on top a hill

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
I can't remember where I found this but it might be worth following up :

FOR SALE:Emergency (Hand) Brake calipers. Made from Billet Aluminum and anodized. Replacement Brake pads available form any race car supplier. Easy adjustment for different disk widths, Up to 30mm. 6 different angle adjustments for cable operation Solid mounting system. Simple adjustments for pad wear. Captured components so parts cannot be lost. Stainless steel components.Contact Robert at: [email protected]

If you think it's OK please post some decent pictures.

Attachments

• CaliperMVC-29_small.jpg
    CaliperMVC-29_small.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 2,579
brett, ad wilwood they told me that the calipers mechanical handbrake is up to +/_ 800kg cars.............. so unless you are making a 2/3rd model don't park on top a hill

Interesting, would like to see how they measure their figures to say it is only good for 800Kg. Not that I can rubbish the data, I just would like to understand how they get there.

Anyway, if I can get it to holdfor SVA I won't worry. If I have to park on a hill, I'll just use it and 1st gear ;)

Brett

James, have sent off for details.

Still waiting for details from HiSpec, will chase Friday.

Brett be carefull of under achieving hanbrakes, the one on my Cobra only gets through the MOT because the mechanic is a beefy lad with a strong right arm! Like you in reality I slap it in first and even on a v, steep hill there are no problems;)

Paul, will follow up on the ap solution.

Thanks for the info

John

Last edited:
This caliper is "hydra/mechanical". Not sure if SVA would pass it (the HiSpec monster 4 seems to use the same technology) Of course they may not notice as the HiSpec has only recently gone onto a "verboten" list having been passed on earlier occasions.

John

Those ap spot calipers are OK, but my understanding is that they have not been manufactured for many years now. The usual one to use instead is the brembo. Many Ult..as use them, as well as Lamborghinis and Ferraris. Here are some shots I took at a track day recently, and my rear setup.

Attachments

• 100_2413.jpg
    100_2413.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 724
  • 100_2440.jpg
    100_2440.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 765
  • 100_2438.jpg
    100_2438.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 746
  • 100_2290web.jpg
    100_2290web.jpg