Electrostatic Rust Protection

Has anyone considered using one of these systems for corrosion protection? Steel chassis types I assume would be the ones best served by this device. A friend of mine owns a 2007 Saleen that has a similar unit installed by the factory so I wondered if it could be used for steel tube chassis types?

A link to one such product info What's CounterAct?

Chris

We used to instal them on our fire trucks when i worked for an airport fire service - two things they need. . . .
1. to always be attached, the sacrificial anodes only had double sided tape on them . . .always came off while in duty. . .until we stuck them on with Sikaflex

2. They had to be wet often. .for some reason it helps with the flow of electrons to the sacrificial anode??. . .white mans magic??

Also if they went onto a second hand refurbished truck, the system seemed to accelerate the rust coming back, (more so than a similar truck without the electronic rust protection system). . .apparently it had something to do with bringing the existing rust to the surface

Just my two cents worth, but by the time i left there . . .we gave up on fitting them. . wasn't worth the agro

Chris
A similar system is used in the boating industry with I/O units, Mercruiser calls it the Mercathode system and as russzx6 mentioned it depended on the battery or batteries always supplying power although very little current draw. I can say that I never really saw a difference except for the sacrificer plates went away faster with that system. I don't know if this was added protection or Merc finding a way to sell lots of plates, but the motor/outdrive never suffered any corrosive effects other than normal wear and tear associated with salt water exposure.
Cheers
Phil

Chris,
In office tower air conditioning systems, the chillers (which use a refrigeration cycle to produce the chilled water for the air conditioning) have dissimilar metals in contact with water, which always causes corrosion. In this case, copper and steel, forming a weak "battery". To counter this you can install a passive system which has sacrificial anodes. Sacrificial, in that you use a material with an electrochemical potential such that IT corrodes before the material you are protecting. Similar to the protection you get by hot dip galvanizing steel. Or you can go a step better and use impressed current cathodic protection. This uses a power supply and applies a potential difference to prevent metal ions moving in the corrosion direction, to put it simply. Works very well. This is similar to the system you are referring to. However in a piece of equipment in a building which always has water, to act as the electrolyte, and has power readily available, it is easy. In a motor vehicle I think it is less effective as the steelwork often isn't wet, and it is absorbing battery power all the time. My 2c worth.

Dalton

Thanks guys, I'm not familiar with the function of this device so your info is appreciated. I have seen much promotion/advertising of these type of products lately but have wondered what applications actually benefit from it, if any.

Chris

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I live in Minneapolis Minnesota - probably one of the most brutal places in the world for automotive steel in the winter time.

The pictures here were taken of a Honda CRX (not particularly known for rust problems that exceed those of other cars)
It had an electronic rust-proofing system installed when new. You be the judge. Was the system active? I believe so as it was still drawing current from the battery.

Attachments

• IMG_0114.jpg
    IMG_0114.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_0115.jpg
    IMG_0115.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_0116.jpg
    IMG_0116.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_0117.jpg
    IMG_0117.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 423

Keith

About as effective as a chocolate coffee pot.

At least it has a lifetime guarantee...did you claim?

I think you guys are a bit confused, the Counteract system isn't a sacrifical anode system, it's a capacitive charging system. I was just reading up on it and did a search and found this discussion so I thought I'd clarify that point.

It seems to be a better system electrostatically charging the car body to repel oxygen causing rust, no anodes involved like the other systems.

Capacitive Coupling,CounterAct Electronic Corrosion Control

Back