Electric Rattle Guns

Has anyone had any experience with the new crop of electric rattle guns that are on the market today? They seem to be generally inexpensive and promise the world. I'm thinking of buying one for track days so it can't be mains power.

Cordless vs 12V any thoughts? Cordless would be great if it was powerful enough to replace a full set of wheels twice in one day without recharging but is that wishful thinking? And how long before the battery is unable to carry the charge?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
A friend of mine who races a Miata uses a Snap-On cordless (his son is a dealer) and is amazed by how much torque it has and how long it lasts. I have no personal experiance with them, just friends recommendations.

Rick

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I have a couple of Hitachi 12v units that I use as nut runners all the time. Torque available depends on state of charge of the battery. Bigger nuts/bolts such as wheel nuts, flywheel bolts etc I always crack with a power bar first. I always finally tighten up with a torque wrench or spanner.

Invaluable in speeding up servicing during rally service breaks and in the pits at race meetings. Also for general workshop use.

Cheers

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I have a Goodyear branded 1/2" drive 12v cordless that I got from Pep Boys for $80. It is invaluable to me - I use it in the trailer / track and in the shop when I don't want to drag an air-hose around a car.
If the lug torque is under 100# it has no problem breaking a full set of 20 loose and then re-tightening them on a single charge. The charger is also fast recovery. I might have gotten lucky and bought a tool from Taiwan that's not a POS but this one is mine and I'm glad I bought it...

I have that same one from Pep Boys and have been happy with it. It is cheap enough to buy a couple extra batteries to take with you to the track.

I've got a snap on cordless . . .it is awesome .. .buzzed off a harmonic balancer nut the other day that was going no where by hand . . certainly saved running the compressor lines out. I get probably half a day out of it with general light work . .great for an engine pull down

Sorry Chris, probably also should have said . . .run the battery completely flat once a month or so (i use a zip tie on the trigger) then charge it back up again fully, and don't leave it on the charger once its charged up . . .mine is at least 3 years old and still feels as strong as ever

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
I have 3 different 1/2" impacts from DeWalt (learning curve). The first was a 14v and it was just barely able to get the lugs off. No way with an extension. I got the same version in 18v and it was better but still a bit tough to get the lugs off. Then they came out with the bigger sized 18v version which works out very well, even with the sometimes needed short extension. Lugs are mainly used on the mustang, but have used it on other folks cars no problem. Some of the cheaper throw away tools might be also ok, but can't say for anything except the De Walt's. I think a couple of other have huge torque ratings, might be Milwaukee, but for the most part all were usable just needed more patience with the smaller style. They are very nice for a tire change at the track. I also got a 12V (Cigarette lighter) battery charger from dewalt that will charge 12v-18v battery packs. The big gun and charger goes to the track every time.

Sandy

An engine-builder friend uses a deWalt cordless for engine teardowns and running up bolts while doing some assemblies. It's amazing how long the battery lasts. High-quality piece.

I have the SnapOn 18V. It's the only one Ive had so no referrence, nice piece. As with everything....could use more power from time to time. I think they make a 24V now.

Use it at the track all the time. Priceless.

Back