Can Anyone Identify This Chassis????

I'm building up a car right now that has an unknown chassis - so I thought someone on here might be able to help. It's most likely a UK manufacturer........here's what I know.

I bought the car in Edinburgh around 6/7yrs ago. The guy I bought it from had asked for the complete kit as part payment for some consultancy work he had done for a local company (I think they were going ut of business so this appeared to be some kind of tax dodge!). Anyway, the important part of this is that the kit was bought from a company, or at least someone trading as doing GT40 kits. He himself had owned the kit for about 10/15 yrs or so he reckoned. When I was taking it apart, I found a date chalked on the chassis crossmemeber behind the dash that said 1986???? The car came with everything from this mystery manufacturer.....it had new Rover V8, new Holley, uprights, exhaust system, wheels etc etc.

I'd really like to find out some more about it. I've been to the Stoneleigh Kit car Show here in the UK for the past 15yrs and never seen another that even looks close to it.

I'm sat in an airport now whilst posting this, so the pics aren't great....but I thought I would start the ball rollingwith what I had here..........any ideas anyone?????????

The only other clues I can give areas follows; it uses Ford Granada calipers and disks, it has a 'proper' wiring loom that has been well made, it doesn't use any subframe from another car (as per early KVA)............

Attachments

• 20062008063.jpg
    20062008063.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 435
  • 20062008062.jpg
    20062008062.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 442

Malcolm

Supporter
I think you can rule out GTD as it is massively different from a typical GTD chassis. Good luck with the hunt.

Thanks Malcolm,

I think this will be a case of crossing off a list of what it isn't! (if that makes any sense???)

hmm....I think I have ruled out GTD, Tornado, HiTech & KVA...were there any other UK makers around at any time?

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Mark

I think your chassis was made by a company in Newcastle but the name escapes me.

It was run by 2 brothers who also sold Cobras on a backbone type chassis.

I have the name some where and I will dig it out for you tomorrow.

They only did 2 or 3 GT40s.

Thanks

Andy

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Malcolm

It is probably about the time Dax started Mine is Chassis 35 and was 1990

BUT it does not look anything like the Dax

Ian

Yeah - it doesn't look like anything else I've ever seen either.

The actual chassis doesn't look too bad considering the era (i.e. no use of subframes from other cars etc), but the uprights etc are fairly horribly and must weigh about a ton each!

I guess in time I will be able to graft on some new parts. Once its on the road I might just be better of selling it and starting again with one of yours Andy!

If you can find any info on the Newcastle guys then that would be great.

M.

Back