Looking for Dimensions of PSE Wheels

Charlie M

Supporter
Does anyone know the maximum backspace possible on a 17 X 8 PS Engineering BRM style pin drive wheel? I'm designing my own chassis and I'm at the point of positioning my front suspension components.

PSE doesn't have a web site or email and they're hard to get on the phone.

Thanks,
Charlie

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
I'll check my specs. We pushed the center section out a bit past the rim on my configuration. You can see the lip in the photo. Can't go much beyond that.

Sep23_013.jpg

Charlie M

Supporter
Thanks Neal. I may have to do the same thing. I'm trying to spread the front suspension out as much as I can to make more room inside for the pedal box.

Are your wheels 17 X 8?

Charlie

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
15x8 - I need to run down the specs. I'll PM you once i've found them. Try calling Phil in the morning (Pacific time). It's the best time to catch him.

Charlie M

Supporter
I imagine that the shape of the rim section on an 8" wide wheel is the same whether it's 15" or 17" so the backspace limit should be the same.

How much does the center section stick out beyond the rim on yours? It looks like only about 1/8" from the picture.

Thanks,
Charlie

Charlie;
Just a guess but I would bet that the wheels will have a backspacing of approx 5". Depending on what uprights you are using and ball joint locations, you may have to shorten up the wishbones a bit. I encountered a similar problem, and had to compromise a little, but the footwell room is tight. If I remember correctly when Ford designed the New GT they had a similar problem, and solved it by flipping the lowers forward to take the mounting points away from interfering with the footwell. Just curious, but are your mounting points inline with the chassis centerline, or tapered?, some room can be gained by a tapered arrangement.
Cheers
Phil

Charlie M

Supporter
Phil,

I started with C4 corvette front suspension but it was too long. I would have to use a Corvette style wheel to get any room in the footwell. I want to use a pin drive BRM style wheel which doesn't help considering I need 3/8" of the backspace for the adapter.

I found that the Factory Five/Mustang setup is about 1.5" shorter than the Corvette setup. If I can get at least 5" of backspace with the PSE wheels I should be able to get it to work.

BTW, the control arm mounting points are inline with the chassis centerline.

Charlie

Charlie:
The adapters are definitely a problem, adds a total of 3/4" to the front width. This was a problem for me also and I solved it by machining a pair of new hubs to take the 6 pin adapters...it looks great but is not cheap. I mentioned the new GT's front arrangement because it solved their problem by putting the rear part of the lower arm at the ball joint centerline, the front then angles forward and grabs the chassis about 12" forward. The footwell can then be extended approx 6" forward, and then narrowed without compromising foot room.
Good luck
Phil

Back