Ford granada driveshaft retaining nuts

Does anyone know a source for obtaining these nuts ? i need a left hand and right hand thread nut , they are around 21/22mm thread diameter ( or probably 7/8 imperial)

Unfortunately my old ones seem to have worn out the nylon section and im pretty stuck finding them!

thanks

Jason

I have two that appear to be RH thread. PM your address and I will send them to you, they were for my previous KVA that had Granada hubs.

Regards

Steve

Attachments

• Hub Nuts.jpg
    Hub Nuts.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 399

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Does anyone have the torque setting for these?
Also do you locktite them before tightening?

Cheers
Ian

(I think my drivers side one has worked loose)

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Andy

Thanks for that - what worries me is if it has come loose then surely the nyloc is not working sufficiently. Hence my query on the locktite. Surprises me thay are not castle nuts and splitpins

Ian

jason pm me
we stock them at work and can jiffy a couple to you their about £3 each a cv joint stockest supplies them from a company called amk their part numbers if it helps are
nn48 (r/h) and nn47 (l/h)
chris

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Is there a reason why these would have come loose?

I borrowed a socket (Thanks Paul) and then this evening jacked car up onto axle stands and stuck it in gear with habdbrake on fully

Wheels off and put the socket on the right hand side nut and without much force turned it about 3/4 turn. I then thought how tight is 270nm and without a big torque wrench proceeded to insert an extendable tyre wrench and "give it some" I then tried the left side and it too was loose perhaps 1/8 turn - not to the same extent but again a big pull on the wrench.

So about a 20 inch handle on a socket and lift the corner of the chassis off the axle stand - would that be close? Springs are 600lb and I moved it about 3/8 inch.

Both nuts tighten in the rotation of the relevant tyre - is this correct or have they been fitted to the wrong side?

Took it for a drive and she now feels like she is on rails again - much better than the wandering over the road,

But are the nuts now tight enough not to move again?

Thanks

Ian

HI Ian I ran the N-M ( 270 ) to lbf-ft it came out at 200 foot Pounds of Torque If that helps. Tight comes to mind. My torque Wrench stops at 150#. But I do have access to one that's good to 350# when I need it.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Old thread but applies in my current situation. My Granada MkI,MkII stub axles and Nyloc nuts seem to have worked themselves loose as Ian stated above.

Did replacing with new Nylocs resolve the problem or would it be wise to replace with a castle nut as Richard suggest (drill a hole for the cotter pin as well). My suspicion is this Granada design may not hold up to high horsepower\torque. Would like to be wrong, any opinions.

Also, my stub axles are both right hand thread, are they normally the same or should left side be right hand and the right side be left hand thread?

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Tim

There was a period in the mid 1990s when we used right hand threaded stubs on both sides due to left hand threaded stubs no longer being available.

The right hand side stub which should be a left hand thread should be loctited and pinned.

Thanks

Andy

jason pm me
we stock them at work and can jiffy a couple to you their about £3 each a cv joint stockest supplies them from a company called amk their part numbers if it helps are
nn48 (r/h) and nn47 (l/h)
chris
Hi Chris,

I,m a newbie so I hope you can help me, I,m using a drive shaft as an extension for cowl steering on the hot rod I'm building and need a left hand thread nut (nn47) to replace the rather knackered on that's on it. Is it possible that you could let me have one, obviously I will pay you for it and the postage.
If you can I will pm you to arrange funds to be forwarded.
cheers,

Nige

Tim, to ease your mind, I cannot see why high hp applicaties would make this nut work it's way loose, the thing is that the only way I would come loose if you've installed them right is either, having the wrong thread on the wrong side (ie what Andy said) or the splines having fitment problems and not engaging fully. This causes vibrations which causes the nuts to turn. If your splines are that far gone things get dangerous anyway.

There are numerous applications with enormous power and Granada stubs without problems!

Grtz thomas

This maybe a novel idea but has anyone tried going to the driveshaft suppliers.
They give new ones with every shaft as a rule.

Well they do in Australia.

Dont know what type of bearing a granada has but from my experiance (35 years mechanic)a bearing that is on its way out will start to loosen the nut as the clearance between the inner and outer bearing reduces.
The nut does not loosen the preload disappears, the nut is a nylock, mark the nut to the flange and if it moves the mark will have moved.
If it has not moved but it is loose it is the bearing preload.
Lot of Chinese bearings out their.
Jim

Last edited:
Hey guys. Trying to get one of our granada stub axles repaired - can any tell me the thread size on these?

Our engineer measured it at 22x1.25 but thinks the nut that was on it was more like 23mm. Just wondering what is actually correct or if anyone is able to supply one still?

Back