GT40 stub axle caps?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
After all these years, I should know this, but I don't: on Mark I cars, what are the caps that close the ends of the stub axles supposed to look like? The axles themselves are hollow- the ends are open- so what closes them off, what do they look like, and what are they made of? I can get some thing made up locally by Metalcraft if I have a photo or photos of what they are supposed to be.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Jim,

I don't think there are ANY original caps!

The street cars had Borranis and used the three ear knock-off that covered the open axle end. The non Borrani cars just left them open! So you must go to step two and be creative! Olthoff offers aluminum plugs that are retained by an "O" ring. These fit Superformance but most likely work on an original type hub. Check your hub I.D. and call Olthoff or let me know and I will compare to the Superformance hub I.D.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Sounds like they are just a press fit into the end of the axle...I did look through a few books last evening and you're right, many of the cars have open ends on the stub axles.

I'll measure the ID of the stub axle and let you know. I would rather have something in there- if there is an aluminum one available that will fit I can get it anodized or powdercoated black...

I had ali end caps turned to fit and use an "o" ring groove to keep them snug. Haven't lost one in 15,000 miles and numerous track days. If you have the right machinst connections you can even have the GT40 logo machined on them. With a little hand painting they can look pretty sharp.

Jim:
I like the open look also, and I simply took some rubber corks and pushed them in about an inch or so, can't see them unless you put a finger in there.
Worked for me.
Cheers
Phil

Back