GTD chassis #

Ok, I sanded down the hole front cross member on my GTD to find the chassis number, after looking through all the threads I could find on the site about this subject. I found nothing there, any ideas guys? I am the 3rd owner of this car as far as I know. My main objective is that I am going to have to get this car titled and licensed in the state of Wisconsin USA. Without any documentation (MSO) or anything like it I'm finding out that basically I'm screwed!!! Does anyone have any advice or ideas?
Thanks,
Bob

Sorry forgot to post the pic that I took
Bob

Attachments

• DSCN0587.jpg
    DSCN0587.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 335

Gordy

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Bob,

If I remember correctly I bought this car many years ago from a Mick Covington in the UK. I sold it unfinished a few years later to Brian Russo in Florida, and all the paperwork I received with the car I gave to him.

What did he give you when you bought it from him?

Punch a GTD chassis number into it if you know the number? They followed a pretty standard pattern of GTD Poole area code and something else if I remember correctly.

Mine is slightly different, as Roy Smart made my chassi under licence; but were wou have snaded is where mine is.

Brett

Malcolm

Supporter
The Covington car was the 19th GTD made and was manufactured in 1986. It was made to take a GA Cosworth engine and no gearbox was specified. It has a remarkably short chassis number of 1986. The chassis number should be stamped on the chassis rail you are looking at but also is stamped, or should be, on the chassis rail that crosses behind the seats accessed through the ali access panel behind the carpets behind the drivers seat (remember UK drivers seat please!). Hope this helps. And if you are sanding off the powder coat you may well have sanded out the number too as they were only punched in with hand punches and a hammer! Ooops!

Ha Guys,
Thanks for the replys first off, Gordy I'm still working on brian for anything he may have, and Malcolm are you saying that the chassis # is GTD 1986 if so I will stamp it back on the rail and thanks for the history trail of the car it helps a lot.
Bob

Malcolm

Supporter
Up till 1990 no GTD chassis number had GTD in it. Thereafter the chassis number had GTD40 in front of the chassis number. After 1994 the Poole area dialing code of 01202 and some zeros were added to pack it out to meet legal requirements. So my chassis number being the 254th car made in 1990 is 25490, then you had say GTD4027091 and then GTD40012020037099. After that then you get into licensed territory with it going GTD4RW or RS at the beginning instead of GTD400, dependent on who made what and when. But there are not many of those chassis numbers!

Mike Pass

Supporter
I don't know if this helps but my GTD has the number stamped in the middle of the bar at the very back of the chassis. It can be seen by just looking under the rear of the car.
Cheers
Mike

Ha Mike,
Can you take a pic of it and post it on the site I'd like to see that.
Malcolm, Thanks again and its just # 1986 then OK.
Thanks Guys,
Bob

Back