Knock on wheels

I have a set of knock on wheels supplied by Vintage Wheels US, they are superb and have been on the car for a few years now with no problem whatsoever, my question is this, which thread to what side should they be, on mine they are left hand thread to right side of the car looking from the rear, as per instructions.

The reason I am asking is my son is racing in the Radical race series and the wheels on his car are the other way round, ie. left hand thead to left side of the car.

Does anyone know which is correct?

Thanks Dave, I always thought that mine was correct, but talking the the Radical 360 team they say that their's is correct, I'm sure Radical won't have got it wrong, maybe racing is different but I'm sure I've seen the genuine 40's with them the same way as mine, I'm getting a bit confused.

John, Easy way to remember it is that top of the spinner is knocked towards the rear of the car to tighten, Radical motorcycle engined cars do have the opposite fitting. Frank

John,

Use a Lead hammer (vintage supplies them).
Since then I spared a lot of damage to the wheels trying to knock lose.
Frank is correct and dont want to put confusion, but when I losen my knock offs,I always remember to knock towards the front of the car as it is then you may have doubts ...

Good luck
Fred

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Might want to check out this thread...

Gee, I don't know Randy, maybe 'let that sleeping dog lay' :lipsrsealed:
I can't tell if there was ever any resolve to that thread:shrug: and over the years I've grown to respect each and everyone that made comments there :love:

In my native Westchester County NY attitude... OMFG!

The "Correct" way is to tighten to the rear (a friend from England told me...LOL!), but................if the nuts or spinners are safetied correctly with .040 stainless aircraft wire, it does not matter which way you put the hub adapters on.

If anyone want to see set of 'Airworthy" wired wheels, stop by in Carlisle.

What the heck... if anyone wants, an A&P/IA with 28 years of wiring every damn day since high school with give a short tutorial!

My flame suit is on!

:flameon:

Last edited:
Not doubting everyones knowledge.

Why do trucks run left on left.
Old chrysler was left on left.
If my memory is correct MGB left on left?????.
Early mazdas, rear hub nut on the stub axle is left on left.

This is the only place I know that has left on right.
I am not starting an arguement because it makes no differece to me, but it is an observation.

I have right on both sides and I am that confident I stopped wiring them and started putting them on loser.
Because I was struggling to get the bastards off.
The surface area is so large they dont come lose.

Yes TIM I know I know I know

But someone had to do it.

Jim

Last edited:
I have always seen the "tighten to the rear" setup and it seems to work fine. I think as Scott said as long as the fasteners are properly wired or some other safety device installed there should be no problem.
I was just at one of my friends shop and I checked out a 962 and a Ferrari Tiga and they both have nuts that tighten to the rear.
Although they may look nice, I can't say I like the spinners only because I have accidentally struck the edge of a very expensive wheel trying to loosen them. It is particularly difficult to get a good hit on a spinner with a 12 or 14 inch wheel width.
I installed nuts with locking pins, just to keep things honest, and I like the look of the nuts, but as was mentioned they can be a bitch to get off, sometimes needing a 6 foot bar on the socket with someone in the vehicle holding the brakes.
Jim, the taper on the nuts should be slightly different than your wheel face to minimize the nut sticking.
Scott, looking forward to seeing you and that wiring job at Carlisle, will you be wearing your flame suit at the show?
Cheers
Phil

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Here we go... Care & Feeding of Knock-Off / On wheels 'revisited'... :lurker:<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Hi All- RE; safety wiring. I am just installing a set of Vintage wheels, looking at the "care and feeding" thread I see that the safety wire goes through a hole on the end of the spinner wing, but cant quite see were it attaches to the wheel. Can anyone tell me the proper way to affix the other securing point?
Many thanks,
Paul

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Hi All- RE; safety wiring. I am just installing a set of Vintage wheels, looking at the "care and feeding" thread I see that the safety wire goes through a hole on the end of the spinner wing, but cant quite see were it attaches to the wheel. Can anyone tell me the proper way to affix the other securing point?
Many thanks,
Paul

Wrap it around an appropriate spoke.

Chris

Back