17" again

In order to be allowed to run my 17" on the street without loosing my vintage registration, i would need to proof to the registration office that up to and before 1983 on any Ford Make, 17" wheels (original or aftermarket wheels) have been used on a street registered car.

Proofs are pictures with dates on it, reports in books, magazines.
Sales folders of wheel manufacturers of that time showing 17" wheels for usage on Ford cars.
Certificates for usage of such wheels on this cars, dating from that time.

and so on.

Any help would be appriciated

Thanks
TOM

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I think you have a problem as the first US Ford to use a 16" wheel was the SVO Mustang as a 1984 model introduced in September 1983. Ford didn't use a 17" wheel until the Mustang in 1995, well after your required date.

Ron Earp

Admin
Rick's right - you're out of luck in the US. 16" wheels were a big deal in 1984 and 17" were out of the question in 1983. Heck, I don't even know if you could purchase 17" wheels back in the 80s, I don't think you could.

I have to ask Tom. Who in Germany enforces laws about wheel sizes? I'm not disputing you, I just find it amazing someone in law enforcement has time to deal with such inconsequential matters.

Actually folks, Ford had an 17" wheel on their cars in 1933 and 1934. It was an 18" the year before that (1932).

So you can tell them that yes, Ford did indeed run 17" wheels before 1983 and they can look it up...or make it easy on them and send them this link: All Wired Up | Hemmings Motor News

Here is a photo as requested too: http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/0811sr_wire_wheels_101/photo_03.html

Hope this helps although, to me, this is a load of BS and I cannot believe they actually care about such things.

The 07 wheels would look great (1907)...

Attachments

• model t wheels.gif
    model t wheels.gif
    40.1 KB · Views: 403

Howard Jones

Supporter
Chris, that's a good one! By the way, could you post that file with normal wheels/tires on it. I would like to use it for my own use not any commercial deal or anything like that.

Thanks if you can, Howard.

Back