Rear Brake help needed

I have got to the stage of fitting up the rear of the 5000 and have run into bother, my setup consists of,
DRB uprites with C4 Corvette hubs and stock vented rotors, and 15" Weld racing wheels, and I tried to fit a pair of Outlaw 2500 series 4 pot calipers.

problem is two fold , the Outlaw caliper is to wide and rubs on the wheel face and also slightly to big in dia, even when I set it up with a couple of thou clearance to the rotor it still rubs on the rim,
thedilemapart1_zps3121abd6.jpg

the Weld wheels do have a slight taper on the rim well which compounds the problem even more, as the only way I can get things to work is to run lots of spacer. which one I don't like and two, it makes my over all width a bit excesive.

oilcoolerandbreatherdone_zps0085e4b5.jpg

So my question to the masses is. has anybody had a similar clearance problem with the Vette brakes and 15 "wheels and how did they solve it.

appreciate any help I can get.
cheers John

John You already have wheels so it makes it easier to do calipers.
I run 15" on my 40 with 298 mm disk, my rims are a split rim I had the centres cast but the splits came from Whitehorse Industries in Vic.

I used them because the rim has a straight inner barrel.
Yours don't look parallel.

My other suggestion is a fist style caliper as they are lower profile in the OD and the outer face as no pistons on that side.
VE com suits 298x 32 disk but that is on my rim.
These style calipers work very well John.

What are your disk sizes.

Jim

Last edited:
John:
How much interference do you have, and if it is slight do you have enough on the caliper to do a slight trim job...it would not need to be much by the looks of your photo, just a thought as I have seen this and done it without problems.
Cheers
Phil

Hi John,

Ive been following your build thread with great intrest. Im at a similar stage to you with my GT 40 having just finished my rear suspension and brakes.

I dont have any experiance with Vette brakes, but this is what I used.

I have Revolution 15" one peice 5 spoke rims. On the back Im useing Vaxhaul Omega 296 x 28 mm discs, with Hispec Billet 4 Radial mount calipers, from the pic, you can see there is plenty of clearance to the rim, but I did have to use a 6 mm spacers to give clearance to the spokes, the spacer didnt effect the overall width as I made the wishbones after, I had done the brakes

P1030756.JPG

On the front Im useing 323 x 32 mm discs, with Willwood Superlite 4 pot calipers, It is very tight but it just fits

4-pot-wilwood-superlite-front-brake-kit-320mm-92-p[ekm]300x224[ekm].jpg

It may be that your calipers are not as compact as the Willwood/Hispec ones. If you look on thier websites they have diagrams with measurements on them

Had similar issues with JO's TVR ( Use's C4 donor rear hubs etc ) about 8 years back John, went with larger offset of rear disc position by using appropriate willwood hats & rotors along with AP calipers. Our rims were not as generous as yours with space for caliper etc. AP calipers were not as bulky as previous outlaws, so caliper change might be enough to solve your problem.

thanks guys, I can trim down the rotor to say 295 and the trim the pad etc etc, but I don't really want to go there if I can help it.
it looks like the Outlaws might have to go on E Bay and I get a pair of Wilwoods the right size.
all because the bloody wheels have that slight taper in the shell.
the joys of building race cars.

cheers John

hey Jac , been a while since that was savoured, brings back memories of days long gone when I worked for ole Albert Deconing, out of Otautau.:thumbsup:
cheers John

well after spending hrs on this damn thing going over god knows how many different calipers, I finaly found a pair that 1/ will fit with a few mm clearance, 2/ have the right piston size, and 3 will fit the width of rotor, believe me finding something to fit all 3 wasn't easy but a Wilwood part no, 120-4964 Dynapro will do the job according to their website, they have an outside radius on a 309mm rotor of 174mm , and I have 177.5mm clearance at the very edge of the well [ ie the narrowest part of the rim], not a lot but hopefully enough, so I will ring and order a set first thing in the morn.
once again thanks to the brains trust for all the help
cheers John

Back