Knock off spinners -

Hi Bob from Vintage Wheels here.
Thought I would just repeat this post I have just made on ClubCobra.com relating to use of anti seize on spinners.

One of the main problems with many Cobras and other specialty cars is standing time versus driving time. If you own a Cobra you have a very high performance machine that has to be maintained accordingly to keep it safe! Closer to owning a light aircraft than a run of the mill production car.
You should pull your wheels off at least once a year anyway to inspect pads , check for cracked rotors, brake hoses ,insides of tires for damage ,steering joints, wheel bearings etc - no matter how few miles you drive .
When installing pin drive wheels we recommend using a product such as the Cobra anti seize mentioned on one of the earlier posts. Apply an even coat on the spinner and wheel mating surface, spinner threads, drive pins and wheel spigot where it indexes on the vehicle hub.
If you don’t use anti seize you will have problems with galling and corrosion. Also if the spinners are not tightened fully with a LEAD HAMMER they can also gall due to minute movements between the spinner and wheel face.
You should have no problem removing your spinners if you take note of the above but before you start hammering make sure you know which direction to loosen! – remember when standing at the rear of the car looking forwards ,the standard RH right hand thread (which tightens clockwise) is on the left side of the vehicle (drivers side in the US) . Then of course safety wire and insert safety clips if your hub is designed to use them.
There is more information on the tech info section of our web site Vintage Wheels, Hot Rod and Muscle car

Bob 619 952 4717

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Bob,

Good advice and great to see you back here.

Do you now have any safety clips for sale?

Thanks,
Julian

Pat

Supporter
Great advice Bob and it's great to hear from you. You may not remember but you helped me a great deal several years ago in getting my CAV sorted. One of the very best things you did is sell me the forged spinners for the car after I broke the ears off of one of the original cast ones.

Hi Bob , great to see you on this forum, I bought a full set of knock-offs from you last year for my CAV after I also broke 2 of the cast originals, I refer you to everyone, thanks again for your help, hi to your wife also, all the best, Neville Nesbitt.

Easy way to remember which way to tighten, i use the term "tight ass". Tighten the knock off towards the rear (ass end) of the vehicle. And it works on "both" sides!

Back