Tire advise needed

What tires are you guys advising to get now. My BFGs are just too hard for good traction. I have a set of Goodyear racing tires, but they are not good for daily driving.

Chuck, just my .02 but I currently run Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires which are comparable to the BF's and have been good servants for the type of driving I do.....mostly street. However, after attending the Classic 24 Hour Daytona event and seeing the GT 40's running on the banking and doing a reported 198 MPH on "skinny" Avon treaded tires I know they will be my next set of shoes regardless of cost.

Mike Pass

Supporter
The BFGs are really bad, no grip, very hard. I use the Avon cr6zz on 15" wheels. They are very good except for flooded conditions. In theory they can do 1.33g. They are quite soft but seem to be lasting pretty well.
Cheers
Mike
Klaatu barada nikto

The BFGs are really bad, no grip, very hard. I use the Avon cr6zz on 15" wheels. They are very good except for flooded conditions. In theory they can do 1.33g. They are quite soft but seem to be lasting pretty well.
Cheers
Mike
Klaatu barada nikto

Agree, Avons : super tyres for performance on track

Avons are probably best, especially for dual duty. Hoosier makes some sticky tires but the sizes just don't work out well in a 15" size. One of the forum members ran them, perhaps he could offer some info. I have Yokohama AVS100's in that size but you can't get them anymore (Have a complete spare set but I won't part with them at this time).

You ought to take a look at the Nitto line. Particularly the NT555R This is a Drag radial in 325 50R 15. They are hard to find. But persistence wins out. Look here:
TireBuyer | Products | TireBuyer.com
They are sticky as I can attest. Ride good on the street and traction that is hard to beat. They have been used on road courses by others and they say they have good side wall response. I will post further when I get them on the track. I have had these tires on my car for quite a while, and are outside the normal time limit for tires, but they were mounted and in the air(jackstands) until about 2 years ago and saw only limited time on the street for the last 2 years as different problems kept me off the road during that time period. This year however I put several hundred miles on the car and they don't show any ill effects. No cracking or other obvious defects. On the fronts I have the 225s which are NT450 Extreme performance.

Bill

What tires are you guys advising to get now. My BFGs are just too hard for good traction. I have a set of Goodyear racing tires, but they are not good for daily driving.

What size wheels do you have? That makes a lot of difference in availability!

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Avon CR6ZZ vs Hoosier R6

I used 15" Hoosier R6 for years then switched to Avons last year, my experiece is Avons are far better for the street. I have yet to try Avons on track but from what I can tell they will be as good if not better than the Hoosiers. Avons also fill the wheel arches and fit the car better than the Hoosiers. For the net result I'm more than satisfied and prefer the Avons.

Tim

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
My Avons are wearing well. I run mine at about 22psi for a much more supple ride as well.

Al,
They are 15s as well. The rears are on 10" rims and fit the wheel wells great. The rears are 27-28" tall and the fronts are 24. Widths are 9 and 13".

Bill

Bill - I asked that because I couldn't locate them. Perhaps you could post a link with specs and a dealer who carries them.....would be most appreciative. Thanks.

It was in my other post but here it is again.

TireBuyer | Products | TireBuyer.com

And in the "more info" button:

Nitto NT555R - Free Delivery Available | TireBuyer.com

If you check with any dealer that handles Nitto tires they can order them for you. May not be at the bargain prices from above. If ordered though the web site then any tire dealer will install them for you at a price. I would think that is negotiable,,,,, or you could buy a tire mount system and do it yourself. I think I remember seeing one at Harbor Freight.

Bill

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
The BFG Radial TA seems to get a bad rap in the traction department.. It was about five years ago when on the HotRod Power Tour, a 57 Chevy with a really over the top Big-Block drove onto the drag strip with the same BFG Radial TAs he drove the tour with.. He did a nice burn-out to warm up the hydes and then cranked out. 9.70ish ET along with 130+ MPH pass to lock up the street tire class trophy.
As I recall, he claimed to have used no traction modifiers but did say that the tires were recently Purchased (fresh)..
Warning about running really sticky tires on the street.. They pick up every bit of sand/gravel and then release it to pepper the rear quarter panels and the insides of your fenders/wings... The results can be anything from minor abrasions to rather considerable star-cracks in the tops of the bodywork...

Sorry about that. If you contact any Nitto dealer they should be able to order them. They weren't on the web site that I posted?? At work this morning. Will search for them when I get home.

Bill

Sorry about that. If you contact any Nitto dealer they should be able to order them. They weren't on the web site that I posted?? At work this morning. Will search for them when I get home.

Bill

I've been trying to get the driver's side (I wanted to make sure they fit before getting the other side...once you mount them they are yours) Nitto tires for FOUR MONTHS NOW.

They stop making some of their tires for periods of time it seems to switch over for the season. I need two more Nitto NT01 tires and no one, but no one has the sizes I need and won't until next year. I have written to Nitto three times for time estimates. The first time they said a month or two, then a month and the last time it was unknown. They are going to make them, just not telling when they will get to the US.

Figure they do this with other versions of their tire too.

Back