Adjustable pedal box mounting

Kevin Box

Supporter
Has anyone fitted an adjustable pedal box to their car so the pedal box can be moved backward and forward to suit long or short legged people?

In particular I'm interested in something that has been certified ok for the road.

Initially i was thinking of using a set of seat rails but not sure if they are strong enough.

thanks in advance for your ideas

regards

Kevin B

Kevin ,

This is the "home made" pedal box I installed in my scratchbuilt GT40 , with some adjustment capability ; not very friendly adjustable ....but may give some ideas ....

Rene

Attachments

• gt40 059 pedal box.jpg
    gt40 059 pedal box.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 646
  • gt40 060 pedal box.jpg
    gt40 060 pedal box.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 621

Kevin Box

Supporter
Rene

Thanks but what I was looking to do was move the whole pedal box approximately 100 mm closer to the driver in various amounts

The GT40 cockpit is not very big and moving the driver closer to the front 100 mm doesn't look like a good option.

I'd prefer to have the seat position fixed at the rear and have the steering wheel (already sorted) and the pedal box come closer to the driver.

This car will see mostly road driving so it must be a good engineering solution for engineering approval to get it registered.

regards
Kevin B

Just my 2c worth but have you considered adjustable pads on the pedals? The technique is described in the great Carroll Smiths books.

Making the whole pedal assembly slide may prove to be quite complex, as opposed to simply winding the pad in & out as required. You won't need to worry about complex plumbing & cabling & you won't affect the pedal ratio's either. I found an example photo on Paul Dudiak's McKee Mk12c Formula A / Formula 5000 Racecar

I hope this helps?

Kind Regards
Julian

Attachments

• PaulDudiak-McKee-Mk12c-EF.jpg
    PaulDudiak-McKee-Mk12c-EF.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 972
hi Kevin, a mate of mine did exactly what your are thinking off back in the 90's in a Countach replica , he used seat rail frames and connected to a linear actuator, so he just pushed a button to adjust it forward and back, he used a remote vh40-44 booster? with flexible rubber hoses, he said it was not that hard to fab up and it passed nz regs at the time no problems, as long as its mounted correctly, sorry I don't have a pic of the construction, but I did see it and it was pretty simple top do.

Kevin Box

Supporter
Thanks Graham

That's what I had in mind
I think it need to have both a servo of some kind to move it back and forward plus some means of locking it in place once it has moved.

A lock mechanism would also be desirable from both certification and peace of mind aspects.

This needs further thoughts!!!!!

regards

Kevin B

Fran at RCR offers one with the SLC label on it. Lots of travel, indexed with a spring loaded pin and can be clamped via thumb screws in a position so there is no play.

Has anyone fitted an adjustable pedal box to their car so the pedal box can be moved backward and forward to suit long or short legged people?

In particular I'm interested in something that has been certified ok for the road.

Initially i was thinking of using a set of seat rails but not sure if they are strong enough.

thanks in advance for your ideas

regards

Kevin B

Have a look at my build log. I did this although in reality, moving the thing is pretty painful.

I had Moveable pedals and steering wheel in my ERA and had them remove it. the steering wheel and pedal assembly moved as one unit. the problem too much play in the steering. It left me with an uncomfortable feeling int he steering wheel. Had them remove it it and go with fixed mounted pedals and wheel. I'm the only driver and need the pedals as far forward as possible.
I think you would have a tough road to design a system as solid as a production car
LLoyd

Kevin Box

Supporter
Lloyd

Thanks for your input

The attached pictures are from Jason Ferraro's build.

I like the concept but would like to develop it further so rather than removing bolts to shift the pedal box assembly, maybe some other mechanism could be used to shift and lock the pedal assembly.

In my case I will not be only one driving and I'm not keen on having to crawl into foot well every time I want to adjust the position.

I have also followed Jason's idea of using an adjustable column from a late model FG falcon (ADR compliant)

For the uninitiated ADR is Australian Design Rules (new vehicle compliance) alias Australian Dopey Rules.

regards

KevinB

Attachments

• Adjustable platform brakes DSCF5633.jpg
    Adjustable platform brakes DSCF5633.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 636
  • Adjustable platform brakes DSCF5636.jpg
    Adjustable platform brakes DSCF5636.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,023
Back