Rear wheel bearings...

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
have a bit of a clonk at the os rear and think it might be rear wheel bearings ( it seems to be speed and wheel rotation related). I have started to take the rear upright off the car and have come to a stop.
Below are pics.....
attachment.php

attachment.php

I have slackened off the top and bottom upright fixings, removed the brake caliper and now need to be able to remove the upright from the driveshaft.

attachment.php

Looking down the end of the stub axle, I can see a nut on the end of the driveshaft but cannot get to it easily.

attachment.php

Do I need to remove the bolts around the drive shaft at the rear of the upright, or somehow remove the disk and get to the nut on the end of the drive shaft.... or both?

Oh - & I did search first :p

Attachments

• bottom of bearing hub fixing.JPG
    bottom of bearing hub fixing.JPG
    308.9 KB · Views: 732
  • top of bearing hub fixing.JPG
    top of bearing hub fixing.JPG
    209.6 KB · Views: 715
  • os driveshaft to bearing hub.JPG
    os driveshaft to bearing hub.JPG
    236.1 KB · Views: 737
  • end of driveshaft.JPG
    end of driveshaft.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 745
Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
No need to bump as there have been no other entries or threads since your original a couple days ago.
I can't help you with the spindle nut, but will say that with a number of loose fasteners you've caught - I would go over that car with a fine toothed comb to double-check every fastener on it...

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Richard

I have a hub nut socket if you want to borrow it

It takes a hell of a force to move the nuts

I'm just up the road in Ashford near Heathrow

ian

Richard,

before you go tearing everything apart, have you not checked for bearing play by applying pressure to the wheel side to side/top to bottom first, and getting someone to feel rod ends, nuts bolts etc, etc, for movement while pulling/pushing on uprights. It could well be something simpler.

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
Thanks for the replays folks.
Maybe I didn't explain very well..... I have already loosened the top and bottom hub carrier fixings ( those highlighted in red) if that is the "safety issues" you are speaking of. If not, please tell me what you have seen.

I cannot detect any play in the bearings by rocking the wheel, but have this noise from the o/s rear. It can be "felt" through the car too, so want it fixed before I drive it again.

Thinking about the problem more, I think, before I go further and remove the hub carrier, I will check all of the rose joints that are in that area.
Any more ideas folks, I will be happy to consider.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
If the bearings have no play in them, I would leave them alone.
Heim (rose) joints are famous for clunking when they get a bit of wear in them.
They are the one part of these cars (and other competition replicas) that really have no place on the open roads. They wear quickly when not fastidiously maintained and lubricated - much like a true competition car would be.
There are nylon lined joints that wear a bit better on the road, but still need to be frequently cleaned.
There are also manufacturers of seals that fit over the sides of the joints in an attempt to seal out dirt and moisture. In my opinion, the jury is still out in that they may well help retain some of that dirt and moisture..
My advice - Get all of the joints inspected and go from there..

Last edited:
Back