CAV GT40 15' or 17' Wheels?

I'm currently the proud owner of CAV #88 which has 17' BRM style rims running Michelin Sport Pilot tyres.

I'm planning on getting a new set of rims / wheels as part of a cosmetic overhaul of the car and have been in touch with both the factory and Image wheels here in the UK. Both can supply and the prices are comparable.

The first bit of advice I'm looking for is whether any of you guys have any experience of Image wheels and can vouch for the quality of their products vs the CAV OEMs which I guess will be from a South African source.

Secondly, and probably more complicated is.....I'm debating putting the car onto 15' rims to provide a more authentic look. Are there any merits / detriments handling wise with 15's vs 17's and I'm assuming moving to 15's will open up wider options on tyres?

Any views, opinions, do's and don'ts would be gratefully received! :shy:

Simon

GTD used image as the factory wheels. I have several friends who used them an had no problems. I believe you will find less selection of tires for the 15" rims.

Talk to Bob Lacey of Vintage Wheels, that's the only supplier I use! And for my money definitely go to 15 inch wheels. If you want best UK help and advice for CAV developments call Geoff Taylor of Taylor Automotive Engineering , he is based in East Sussex call 01825 873578

I'm not a tire expert but I think a lot comes down to the type of tire you're looking for (street vs track)

I just went through hell trying to find 15'' street tires for my 917 (although eventually found that the Countach 345/15s fit almost perfectly in the rear; in the fronts had to make a little bit of compromise on section width)

Images wheels are on my car, great quality, i got the 15 inch wineglass Halibrand style in satin black. Fitted perfect and Approved for road.

Tyres Avons all the way.....

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Before you start changing wheels figure out what brakes you have.

You may not get them inside a 15 inch rim.

Ian

Yuji

Lifetime Supporter
I use Vintage Wheel with 15' which I'm pretty satisfied. Yuji

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 272
Back