tubular or monocoque ?

Hello to all
where I live there will be no change to bring a gt 40 on the road , so I am thinking of a trackcar with some historic racing .

off course brakes and suspension should be made for the job , but my question goes for the chassis : tubular or monocoque ?

I would like to read the impressions of people who use both types of chassis on the track or even both ( you never know )

thanks in advance

stefan jacobs

Stefan
I have built a several tube frame style of chassis which due to my skill sets, i prefer.
The skills and plant required to build a monocoque and quite daunting where as with steel tube, you can take all sorts of liberties. Alterations read changes are just a matter of a cutting wheel away, welding can be mig, tig or bronze so are easily obtained skill sets where as aluminium sheet work is an art form. I know what I would choose next.
Cheers
Russell

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Stefan

Welcome to the World of GT40's
If you are wanting to actually race in historic events I believe you will be restricted to an original style Monocoque, with period correct brakes.
Expect the cost to be over £500000 to get you on the track with an historic passport on the car

If it is just to enjoy fun track days either type will work

Regards
Ian

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Morning Ian,

Half a mil is a bit steep, I beg to differ.

Interesting comment, to put together a package to race for a season. What would your ballpark figure be?
Start with a new Gelscoe or Superformance,
Remove all the non compliant bits
Add FIABag tanks, magnesium uprights, compliant brakes depending on the year you replicate, compliant 289, magnesium rims and tyres perhaps 3 sets etc.
Pay engineers to do necessary changes, process passport with FIA for papers
Lots of track time to get everything dialled in

Seriously, how much in today's world?

Ian

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Interesting comment, to put together a package to race for a season. What would your ballpark figure be?
Start with a new Gelscoe or Superformance,
Remove all the non compliant bits
Add FIABag tanks, magnesium uprights, compliant brakes depending on the year you replicate, compliant 289, magnesium rims and tyres perhaps 3 sets etc.
Pay engineers to do necessary changes, process passport with FIA for papers
Lots of track time to get everything dialled in

Seriously, how much in today's world?

Ian

Firstly, you have changed the goalposts. Ian, now you are including development costs and a season's racing budget...
Also, why start with a chassis where you say you have to ' change the non compliant bits ' ? Why not start with the correct one to start with ?
This guy's original enquiry was aimed at acquiring a mono and building it, not a ' chequebook Johnny ' operation.
I feel that, though inadvertently, you may have just plucked a figure out of the air and seriously dented his ambitions.
My budget £ 200,000.

indeed , my question is not on budget ,but on trackbehavior

I know that it doesn't matter when you drive at an average 90kmh on a B road

so is there a big difference between both chassis on track??

regards, stefan

Glenn M

Supporter
The difference is not so much between the chassis types Stefan, but in the geometry of that particular chassis. I know that the manufacturer of my chassis spent a loong time and enlisted the appraisal of some big names to get it right. And it shows. My space frame car handles sublimely (according to others who have driven it and are much better placed to say so than me) and is as quick as originals around Goodwood. Yet there are many different chassis available worldwide and I have seen some geometry on both space frame and monocoque variants which would make me run away from driving them.
You are quite right in saying that the track is where these differences really show and are glaringly obvious.
Of course, as others have pointed out, a lot of it depends on what particular race series you are thinking of. That could well make your decision for you.

Hello to all
where I live there will be no change(chance?) to bring a gt 40 on the road , so I am thinking of a trackcar with some historic racing .

off course brakes and suspension should be made for the job , but my question goes for the chassis : tubular or monocoque ?

stefan jacobs

Stefan suggests he would be doing Historic racing, That would eliminate the space frame for most Historic groups, but then he suggests modification of brakes & suspension which to me suggests that he has a category or events in mind that are not so restrictive in regard to originality. Purely on cost alone it would be better to go the space frame route if that is the plan.

agreed - if authenticity is a prerequisite for tracking/racing, then you don't have a choice - mono. If not, space frame will not require as much shop equipment/overhead, will be easier and cheaper to build a strong and reliable chassis, and it will be more easily adapted/repaired as situation requires.

Back