GTD40 chassis # help please

Hello Folks,
I want to know what #my chassis is on my GTD. It has vin and number plates that match each other and are what was used in California for the SB100 registration by F. Faili ( hope I spelled his name correctly). Any way, I cant seem to find a number that fits the description that some on this forum have been talking about. I want to know what chassis this is in the grand scheme of GTD Poole. My numbers are CA951945 Can anyone derive when my chassis was built from this number or am I missing something? Any help will be greatly appreciated and I thank you all in advance!

Also, it would be great if I could get in contact with the original builder Mr. Faili. if anyone can arrange this that would be awesome!

thanks again,
Ken

here are pictures of my vin plates.
thanks again

Attachments

• vin1.jpg
    vin1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 585
  • vin2.jpg
    vin2.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 618
  • vin3.jpg
    vin3.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 613

Mike Pass

Supporter
Hi Ken,
That is a plate that someone has stamped and screwed on. The chassis number does not relate to GTD style numbering. The GTD chassis numbers are stamped into the thick square chassis tubes above the steering rack. They are quite often panelled over, The GTD chassis numbering system is as below.

Up till 1990 no GTD chassis number had GTD in it. Thereafter the chassis number had GTD40 in front of the chassis number. After 1994 the Poole area dialing code of 01202 and some zeros were added to pack it out to meet legal requirements. So my chassis number being the 254th car made in 1990 is 25490, then you had say GTD4027091 and then GTD40012020037099. After that then you get into licensed territory with it going GTD4RW or RS at the beginning instead of GTD400, dependent on who made what and when. But there are not many of those chassis numbers!

The VIN on the frame is GTD40 01202 00370 99
The code is quite simple.
The first 2 characters - '40' are obvious.
The next 5 - '01202' - is the area code for Poole, where the GTD factory was.
The last 2 - '99' is the year of manufacture.
The remaining characters - '00370' is the serial number.
Thus chassis is a GT40, built in Poole, number 370, in 1999.

Nothing pre 1985 although I suspect Ray had started GTD work before. 1985 had 10 chassis listed. 1986 had nearly 40 chassis numbers listed. And they went on from there

Last GTD. Believe it was GTD40012020037099 and this one went to Brian McCarthy.

Hope this helps and happy new year

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
Have you searched thru ' Faili F ' posts and or threads started in his stats for email contact, I just had a quick look and he has posts etc back to 2002

Howard Jones

Supporter
Hey Bud, You remember Fred's GTD Chassis #? Faili and I did our SB100's the same year when we lived near each other in the SF Bay Area. I have lost track of him as I think he moved to Mexico.

Bud Jones knows both cars and if he doesn't post a answer here right away, I'll call him myself. Give us a day or two.

In the mean time. That blue plate is the state of California's official plate that designates the government recognized VIN number. This is the official nationally recognized VIN number and is the only important one. Do not remove it or alter it in any way.

The other two black and gold ones are replicas of the original Ford advanced vehicle plates that we both got on line from somebody on this forum way back in the day because I for one thought they were cool. He liked them too I guess. They mean nothing really.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Here's some pictures of a annual party I used to have at my house when I lived in California. Faili is in several of them. He's the guy with the knit hat on in the first picture.

Attachments

• HPIM0371.JPG
    HPIM0371.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 550
  • HPIM0368.JPG
    HPIM0368.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 465
  • HPIM0362.JPG
    HPIM0362.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 499
  • HPIM0373.JPG
    HPIM0373.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 508
  • HPIM0361.JPG
    HPIM0361.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 476
  • HPIM0378.JPG
    HPIM0378.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 474
Hey Bud, You remember Fred's GTD Chassis #? Faili and I did our SB100's the same year when we lived near each other in the SF Bay Area. I have lost track of him as I think he moved to Mexico.

Bud Jones knows both cars and if he doesn't post a answer here right away, I'll call him myself. Give us a day or two.

In the mean time. That blue plate is the state of California's official plate that designates the government recognized VIN number. This is the official nationally recognized VIN number and is the only important one. Do not remove it or alter it in any way.

The other two black and gold ones are replicas of the original Ford advanced vehicle plates that we both got on line from somebody on this forum way back in the day because I for one thought they were cool. He liked them too I guess. They mean nothing really.

Thank you for the quick reply. I know about the "Blue Tag" in cali, I will need to take some panels apart to find the actual # unless one of you awesome lads know it some how.
I also think it is very cool to have seen pictures of all of you guys together. I live just north of the bay area id love to meet more GT40 builders.

thank you and have a great New Year's Eve!

Have you searched thru ' Faili F ' posts and or threads started in his stats for email contact, I just had a quick look and he has posts etc back to 2002

Yes sir I have, but the emails all came back undeliverable. either way I'm grateful for the responses everyone on the forum has helped with.

Mike Pass

Supporter
Here is a pic of the usual location of the chassis number on a GTD. I don't know but it may be on the other side on a left hand drive car.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• GTD chassis number location.jpg
    GTD chassis number location.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 968
Ken. glad I could help with Chassis number. The 1202 may or may not have been included in the chassis number as this was a 1990 chassis. Be sure and read the history of CAV written by Andre. It is a good history of the GTD/CAV relationship and covers some of the goings on with Roger and covers the time when GTD was struggling. I tried to upload a couple of pictures from Howards gt40 gatherings but for some reason they won't load even thought they are only 4oo or 500 KB.

Attachments

• Farhad 21990 - Copy (2).jpg
    Farhad 21990 - Copy (2).jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 782
Just and after thought as you are talking about improvements you are working on. The best change by far was replacing my osrv mirrors with electric/ heated ones from a Chrysler Cross Fire. Lots of problems finding them at a reasonable price and finding the Plug part of the wiring loom was impossible. I did finally find a wrecked Mercedes that the owner was willing let me take that section of the loom from the center console. Anyway it was worth the trouble and made the car so much nicer to drive with the improved rear vision.

Attachments

• Farhad 21990 a (2).jpg
    Farhad 21990 a (2).jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 462
I couldn't agree more with Bud regarding the crossfire mirrors. Bud was extremely helpful to me when I was looking into mirrors. I haven't bothered with the wiring to be honest, but they made a huge difference to my car. Before, having no mirrors, it was butt clenching driving along freeways! Now I can relax... at least a little.

The other big improvement in drive-ability I have made is switching to LED lights.
I bought LED bulbs for my tail lights but they did not light up. I have since updated the switch and wires on the tail lights so I should give it another try to LED stop lights.

as for mirrors....I installed some carbon fiber low pro race mirrors. Low Pro (low visibility)! haha

Hi Ken,

I suspect that the polarity on the LEDs may have been wrong. It doesn't matter with incandescent bulbs but you will not get anything with LEDs. Some people have needed an additional resistor for the flashers, but I didn't find that. The headlights were the biggest improvement. Here is a link to the thread that has the details of what I purchased:

headlites-for-cav

Regards,

Karl

Hi Ken,

I suspect that the polarity on the LEDs may have been wrong. It doesn't matter with incandescent bulbs but you will not get anything with LEDs. Some people have needed an additional resistor for the flashers, but I didn't find that. The headlights were the biggest improvement. Here is a link to the thread that has the details of what I purchased:

headlites-for-cav

Regards,

Karl
Thank you Karl, I will give those a shot. The brake lights need the most improvement in my opinion since the 40s are hard to see in the dark and tail light are minimal at best. I will try and post some follow ups as soon as I can.

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Ken, to assist with visibility, you might consider installing a high level LED brake light too.
Dave

The link has the headlights, brake and indicators. I tried some other brake and indicator LEDs but they were by no means bright enough. The ones in the link are a massive improvement. It gives me a lot more confidence when it starts to get dark.

Back