Early CAV MONO Steering Rack Bushing

Pat

Supporter
After 16 years, it looks like the outer bushing on my steering rack has gone to pieces. Has anyone replaced the seal/bushing and/or know where I can locate a replacement? Unfortunately, I don't know the source of the rack and perhaps another forum member might recognize it. The location of the seal is marked with an arrow. The boot is pulled back for clarity. I've also included the only stamping I could find on the rack which says LAR 10,01

Thanks as always.

Attachments

• Steering rack seal.jpg
    Steering rack seal.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 395
  • Steering rack seal ID.jpg
    Steering rack seal ID.jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 340
  • Rack Measurments.jpg
    Rack Measurments.jpg
    431.9 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:

Pat

Supporter
Thanks for the response Oliver.
I did reach out to CAV and unfortunately they didn't have any firm information on pre-100 CAV Mono cars such as mine. However, Jordi at CAV was helpful in offering to locate a pre-100 car to compare to the current CAV models should my other efforts such as here on the forum come up short.
Since then I've also been in contact with one of the former executives at CAV who has been of great assistance in helping me identify and locate parts to rebuild my old rack. I have a couple of items in shipment but until I get everything in and my old rack apart, I won't be sure that I've solved the problem.

Again thanks for your interest.

Pat

Supporter
Thanks so much Paul. In the week or so since my original post I've been able to determine the origin of the rack and have one in shipment. Now all I have to do is figure out how to swap in the new one without fouling up the alignment.

Pat

Supporter
I've ordered a Cortina MKV rack. I'll see how it fits when I get the old one off. Because I have aftermarket solid front uprights (for the correct Ackerman), I'll also probably have to trim the tie rods to spec.

Looks like that bush is used in Capri also and still available.
I know the way in Capri parts as I run a small bussiness in Capri parts.

Pat

Supporter
Thanks for the note JP. Thankfully, I have a new rack on the way as well as parts to rebuild the old one. So I should be OK.

Pat, I had heard the early CAV mono steering rack is an early BMW M3 rack. I can't recall if I tracked the down or not as I never had any problems with the rack.

Just wanted to mention that in case the Cortina rack isn't the right one.

Pat

Supporter
Thanks Cliff, I normally check the BMW sites first as my car has 3 Series parts from wheel bearings to turn signal switches all over it. The BMW unit is very different and the dealer told me that the manual rack is rare as most cars they sell have power steering. That said, the pricing is very un-BMW like at least on this site but unfortunately it's apparently the wrong part when compared to the earlier photos. BMW 320i Manual Steering Rack from CarPartsWarehouse

Back