Tacho

Hi Guys

Perhaps someone in the UK can recommend a supplier for a MSD compatable 0-8,000 tachometer and 0-200 mph Speedo ( electronically adjustable).
Any technical info regarding either set-up would be appreciated.

Regards, Paul.

Paul, I would think Merlin Motorsports could suit your requirements, they have the electric speedo and tach, although I do not know if the tach will work with an MSD trigger.
Brian

Thanks Brian.
I have purchased a 0-180 mph Speedo and sensor from Merlin but they have not included a wiring diagram or any set up details. I assume the speedo will require calibrating?
They can also supply an Elliot 0-8000 Tacho.
I have a Mallory magnetic distributor, can anyone reccomend what type of Tacho I need as they supply 2 types?

Regards, Paul.
confused.gif

Hello, !

Maybe i am totally wrong here, i might mix it up.
Were there not a adapter wich were to be used with the MSD box, to be able to use a tacho ?

A product from places like Merlin should´nt be difficult to wire up.
should´nt it be like normal + and - and a wire to connect between MSD and Tacho ?
Along with instrument lightning.
Maybe it depends also wich MSD box are used ?
Buying new stuff must include some sort of description if not schematics.
Or the seller usually can provide the info.
Other than that, there are many way´s to conect a tacho.
depending on it´s construction.
Originals used a kind of impulse reader at the tacho(hard to explain)
US,UK Fords etc.. all have different constructions of tachos...
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Hi Paul,
Re the speedo - Andrew Fordyce has a 'calibration unit' for the speedo as when he got his - it was also supplied (they do not anymore!).

Catch up with him when we get back from the Isle of Man. (1st event tomorrow - results will be posted on club site)

regards

Paul Thompson
[email protected]
grin.gif
grin.gif

G

Andrew's speedo is a good option as described by Paul above. For a tacho look at the Stack range. They do a classic style tacho to replace old Smith racing tacho's and I have just put one in Wendy's car. It has a remote gear shift light and 25 minutes of recording time for playback and max revs and even lap timing. An dit looks old style! Their modern stuff is slightly cheaper but with more functions. The problem is finding one the right size as the dash hole is not 80 or 100 mm but about 90 mm. I think Stack do a tacho that is 88mm. SPA do a tacho that has a digital speedo in the centre as well.

Malcolm

Paul,

I have the Stewart Warner Electronic Speedo in a little sprint and hillclimb car.. I have the instructions, plus set-up keypad somewhere, so if you get really stuck, let me know, and I'll try to dig them out to see if they help...

For what its worth, my issues were largely down to getting reliable signal source rather than calibration...

I started with a proximity sensor on one of the propshaft bolts, and ended up with a gearbox mounted Hall Effect sender, which ended up needing a homemade electrical amplifier with a voltage stabiliser at 12V....

My solution ultimately was to fabricate a mount for a mechanical sender....and change the speedo..

Sorry if that sounds a bit like bad news, but I found the electronic tacho easy, and the speedo a real nightmare!

I guess the MSD stuff will make life a whole load easier...(fingers crossed!)

Regards

Neil

[ May 03, 2002: Message edited by: Neil Strenge ]

Thanks all.

Neil, does'nt sound too encouraging but after
spending £184.00 on the speedo and sensor I shall make sure the F#~*%!g thing works.
Budget isn't looking tto healthy at present.

Cheers, Paul.

Back