Low Oil/Fuel PSI

At a recent club event where owners took their cars on the track 5 MG's suffered severe engine damage due to low oil pressure caused by cornoring forces pulling oil away from the pickups. If you take your car to the track make sure it has a baffled oil pan and a fuel system pickup and pumps that can keep up with these forces.
Best
Jim

There's also the Accusump, which pressurizes the oil system before the engine is started as well as during high-G maneuvers if the oil pickups run dry. It also increases your oil system capacity. Click here for product info through Racer Parts Wholesale. Check out the rest of their website too...they carry good stuff.

Regards,
Mark

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
American cars would never have this problem!!!
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Gordon Levy, Levy Racing has a trick pan for Windsor motors.

Even the Aviaid pans that the original GT40ies used were somewhat un sufficient on race track, while heavy cornering etc...
, so some were also later modified.
More baffles and larger capacity.
If you have an engine mounted as low as an original car.
Then you need to use something like it thou...
If your engine is mounted higher, then there´s a large quantity of different makers of "race" quality pans..
With trap doors, baffles etc, etc...
At least as racing goes, or built to "race" standard sort of...

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

I'm running a rear sump roadrace Canton pan with the diamond shaped baffles and a 2 qt Accusump.

Ron Earp

Admin
That Armando's pan looks just like my Canton pan that I'm using. It is front sump, trap-door baffles that are spring loaded, and the exact same pickup. Haven't actually put it to use yet, but it would appear that it will do the job. And it is a lot less than the Aviaid pan.

Ron

G

I run a Canton sump which has pans at both ends. Baffled, gated, crank scraper and windage tray all help too. Part of the problem is low clearance so to get a high capacity sump without excessive depth is the challenge. I use about 9 litres of oil in the system which also has a remote oil cooler and remotely mounted filter.

Listening to Roy and Paul who have quite an advanced engine setup, they are talking about oil gauges not responding as quickly as they should ie the dips in pressure as you go round a corner or whatever are showing only the tip of the iceberg of the problem. They have a data logger on the oil pressure and find that the electronic readings are much scarier than the pressure gauge readings. Therefore they have convinced me to put in a data sensor on to my car to monitor oil pressure. They also run an accusump system.

Malcolm

Steve, Ron, Mark, Wayne, Malcolm

I would be interested to know if you have personally had the opportunity to test if your baffled sumps work effectively. That is to say, have you placed your cars in a serious race track type situation with repeated high latteral G-forces?

If so, did you use sticky track tyers, or road tyers?

My experience with non-Ford engines is that a small number of baffle designs can seem to be more effective than they actually are... although most are very good.

I've been thinking of installing a dry-sump system which is expensive, but proven to be very effective. Down side is I lose the air-con.

Kind regards
Chris

G

I have an Armando's Oil Pans GT40 pan. I have not run the engine in anger yet, so can't provide comments on effectiveness of the baffeling system yet. It also has 4 trap doors in the the central sump fence and scrapers are built into the windage tray on both sides of the pan. Armando also put a notch in the rear for the cross member on the Sabre chassis at no cost. A dipstick tube is also included. He will also do them in natural (aluminum) or gold tone (cadmium). The pan will hold 8 quarts under the windage tray altough I am only using 7 and have no problems to date. - Lynn

I spoke w/ Dennis Quella of Colorado about running a dry sump and A/C. He is/was working an ERA GT that he is/was installing a dry sump system into and that car was going to retain its A/C. He was fabricating a mounting system that incorporated the fuel pump boss and was optimistic about it working well. I have not spoken to Dennis recently (he is setting up my NOS BMW M1 ZF for me) but he has a reputation for getting things done correctly. I also hope to run a dry sump and A/C...if there is room for everything.

I spoke w/ Dennis Quella of Colorado about running a dry sump and A/C. He is/was working an ERA GT that he is/was installing a dry sump system into and that car was going to retain its A/C. He was fabricating a mounting system that incorporated the fuel pump boss and was optimistic about it working well. I have not spoken to Dennis recently (he is setting up my NOS BMW M1 ZF for me) but he has a reputation for getting things done correctly. I also hope to run a dry sump and A/C...if there is room for everything.

G

Someone above asked if I had used the car in high G situations with my Canton Sump. The only answer is as high as I can get it! I have previously run 11 inch wide rear and 9 inch fronts slicks (hill climb compound so very sticky)at Goodwood on a hot day and managed a 1 min 31 standing start lap which has yet to be beaten by any GT40 replica. That would create the best G that I can think of, however I won't have been looking at the oil pressure gauge! Hence wanting to fit a data logger on it. When I have gone round corners and looked at the gauge, since I fitted a decent sump pan, I haven't noticed a problem but this appears no longer to be a reliable method for checking. I have run this sump now for about 7 seasons and not had problems with the engine that could be blamed on losing/dropping oil prssure. Perhaps if someone emails me later in the season once the oil pressure log is fitted a better answer can be given. Sorry this is not too much help.

Malcolm

[ May 06, 2002: Message edited by: Malcolm M ]

Back