NPG coolants, Evans cooling

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Does anyone know of anyone who's tried waterless NPG coolant systems? Evans Inc makes both NPG coolant, which they say is better than water-mixed EG coolant, and also some pumps for race applications. There seem to be a lot of threads about cooling system issues on GT40s, and I wonder if anyone has tried this stuff or has any info on it. They do have a pump etc for small-block Fords, 302s and 351s I think. Please post if you know, for good or for bad. Thanks!

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
BJ they do have a website and I think it is www.evanscooling.com. I will find the boating journal where they have an ad and post it on this website. I did speak with them to find out whether I could use this stuff in my Caterpillar marine diesels and they said yes. As you can imagine, draining eight gallons out of an engine you can't get underneath of- without spilling any into the bilge or the water- is tricky. But they have a lot of experience with it in fleet use and I am going to try it out.
Now, having said all that, I agree with Ron that the problem you are having is not a coolant issue, although changing to a coolant with a higher boiling point might help. And, I don't think ERAs are more prone to overheating than any other mid-engine car with a long run between the motor and the radiator. So, the problem must be that some part of the system isn't working as it ought to, and my hunch is that the system is airlocked somehow. We have had a number of postings on how hard it is to get all the air out of the system.
Good luck with all this. I will get Evans' access info up on this thread as soon as I can, but I still think it is a function, not design, issue. Incidentally, you might try Grand Touring Auto in Laurel. They maintain an old GT40, 1072, and have moderate familiarity with them, plus tons of other midengine cars such as Miurss Boxers, etc etc.

JIM,

DO THEY HAVE A WEB SITE ???

IF MY LATEST ATTEMPTS FAIL TO "COOL-OFF" THE '40 I'LL BE LOOKING FOR MY NEXT DESPERATE MOVE.

Y'ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT DAY,

BLACKJACK

Ron Earp

Admin
Blackjack,

I've read with great interest your cooling problems on the GT40, but I still think something basic is amiss. There are lots of cars represeted here, many in Australia where it is hot, and their owners don't have overheating problems - using standard Ford mechanical water pumps.

What say ERA/Bob? All the cars I've seen from ERA sported mechanical pumps as well and I pointedly asked one at SAAC who reported no cooling problems.

I've used electric pumps before and found them unsatisfactory for a road use car.

Ron

Back