Re-painting a fiberglass car (UK)

Please excuse my ignorance on paint.. have never had a car resprayed so I know nothing!

I wish to re-paint my Red GTD in a silver or gun metal. Ideally I'd like to get the work done locally (South West UK).

When asking for quotes I need to know the 'right' questions to ask & some idea of the type of preparation/paint to use. Should the current paint be stripped completely or just flatted? In a few minor areas the paint has bubbled & on further investigation these bubbles contain water?!? obviously I want to avoid this!

Are there any specific techniques or equipment necessary for fiberglass?

I figure the front & rear clams, doors, cills, nostrils etc would be painted off the car, would the centre section be best left in place? & Could I leave the windscreen in place with it?

As it stands the car has good panel fit & gaps.

My final query is cost. I know thi is a very difficult question to answer, but could other owners give me an idea on the cost of their own paintwork?

JULIAN,

I'M SORRY I CAN'T HELP YOU. I'LL BE WATCHING THIS THREAD CLOSELY BECAUSE I HAVE THE SAME QUESTIONS. I NEED TO HAVE ALL THREE OF MY CARS REPAINTED AFTER AN EXPLOSION AT MY HOUSE. I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT FIBERGLASS RE-PAINTING AND HOPE THAT YOU WILL GET SOME NOTEWORTHY REPLIES.

HAVE A REALLY GREAT DAY,

JACK [email protected]

The best painter I have ever used is:gscustoms.com (Projects)
They painted my Lola Sunoco Blue MetalFlake. The key is prep,prep,prep

[ May 13, 2002: Message edited by: MK -IV J6 ]

[ May 13, 2002: Message edited by: MK -IV J6 ]

G

Sorry Julian, I thought I had posted something here for you but clearly I hit the wrong button.

Try P & K Panels in Poole who used to be the original factory paint shop. They have painted over 40 40's in their time but obviously not so many recently.

Pete and Kevin are really nice guys, I got them to paint my car independantly of the factory and they did a good job. They also provide excellent back up service.

Contact number is 01202 677772

All the best

Malcolm

PS call me sometime so I can bring up to date with developments you might be interested in.

Malcolm,

Thanks for your reply.. You did reply previously as I somehow managed to post the same thread twice!!

Have chatted to P&K breifly & they sound perfect.. many thanks for the contact!

Hope to catch up with you soon,

cheers,

Back