Smog legal & clean speed

Hi, are all the replicas in AUS available with an EPA legal motor?
I would have thought this essential for a registerable road car, and only have knowledge of the RF 5 litre Motec injected motor- which is legal with 320 hp and a wide flat torque curve I believe?
thanks

Rob

wink.gif

I've been eagerly waiting for someone to reply to this thread. So going on the silence, should it lead me to presume that there are no other ADR complient factory built engines available?

If so, may I then expand on the scope of this thread and ask, what all Aus GT40 builders doing/have done to comply with ADR?

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Its early days yet, but my initial enquiries lead me to believe that the RF/Motec setup will pass the NSW/VIC emissions tests. The RF injection system is based on castings from DC&O (used to be a DRB dealer !) with Robert Logan's own adjustable linkages, butterflies, etc. I have a stock Mustang motor in the car & will probably just change out the original FI (which doesn't even fit under the rear clip !) to the RF/Motec setup for initial rego. I'll leave things like alloy heads, electronic ignition, cam, etc until later.

Some owners have used carbs & have got them registered in QLD (must be different emissions rules there), then transferred the rego to other states.

Peter D
smile.gif

I'm going with the standard RF/Motec setup.

You could also think about a standard Ford Falcon/T series motor but the inlet manifold doesn't look like it will fit in. Same problem as the Mustang motor I guess. It might be possible to lower it without making it obvious. Maybe if you left the rear window out?

Peter - Are you sure about the DC&O manifold being compliant. Not talking gas emissions but noise. If you are talking about using an 8 barrel setup without air filters you may have to do some clever work to shut up the inlet noise. I am not claiming any special expertise here, but I had a motorbike once with individual intakes for each cylinder. The intake was as loud as the exhaust on it. Admittedly, it was a 2 stroke.

Regards

John

Ron Earp

Admin
I know that RF has emissions and ADR compliant engines, at least that is what I'm told.

RF has crossover exhaust systems with cats and O2 sensors that I've seen photos of. The Motec system should be able to regulate fuel to keep emissions in line. The rear screen on the RF is glass, which might help somewhat on the noise, hard to tell.

Ron

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
John, I am thinking of installing individual filters on each trumpet - these should stop wayward pedestrians, leaves & twigs, etc from being sucked in ! & should cut down the intake noise a bit. For inspection, I was thinking about making up some temporary filters for the intake ducts in the body behind the side windows. If all of that doesn't make it past inspection, I guess that there is no alternative but to make up a big temporary filter to cover the 8 trumpets.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

I suppose my initial question was one of curiosity rather than information searching, since I've decided to fit a totally compliant RF/Motec/302 engine in my car. This engine is complient in its 320 HP form, but they can also supply "after-market" components, such as crossover pipes, to give it more horses.

My understanding though is that trying to get compliance on a non-complied engine yourself can be quite hit-and-miss... and if you miss several times, then the costs can be significant.

Also, again my understanding, if you replace ANY component from a previously compliant engine with a different component (and that could also include something as minor as the brand of air-filter) then that engine is no longer considered compliant. You would then be back to the hit-and-miss situation again.

Now, the question you might ask though is "how would they know?". The answer is, good question... but consider the trouble that you might invite if you present an engine as pre-complied and they find that it's not.

Having said all that, I would love somebody out there to add to this thread and tell me that I'm totally wrong and that it’s not really that hard.

Now, of course the irony of all this, is that once your car and engine have been approved, you can take it home and quite legally modify it to the max - as long as it still runs on pump ULP.

PS. This is from the perspective of a Victorian. Legislation in other states, such as Queensland, is more sympathetic.

[ May 16, 2002: Message edited by: Chris Liokos ]

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Chris, I guess that we should ask the RF man himself, Mr. Logan.

Robert, can you give us the lowdown on this issue ? I have spoken to a number of nerds in the NSW RTA, got a CD version of the ADR rules, & am still confused. My impression is that it all comes down to the particular "Engineer" who tests the car.

Perhaps you could use my stock '95 Mustang engine, with proposed Rf/Motec FI as an example ?

Kind Regards,

Peter D.
smile.gif

As I understand it, Roaring Forties have a 100% ADR legal motor package, and that legal noise in particular was very hard to achieve....does the deafening silence from everybody else shows that they are not sure, or would rather not say?
Even specifying an alloy block, for example, would void the certification- therefore the RF turnkey cars are covered as-is but any tinkering is not.
For a road car, 320Hp is plenty, and would give performance line-ball with a Viper, for example (i.e. explosive for a 1000 Kg road car).
I am sure any insurance in all of AUS (and even USA) would be dependent on such things as maintaining the original certification?
After all, the EPA can order an emmissions test of any car it likes, at the owners cost, by the way.
Big Brother is watching, whether we like it or not.

shocked.gif

Back