Proper Base Engine

Anyone have suggestions for an appropriate base engine from which to start a rebuild? I don't have enough junk in my garage now, so I thought I'd start looking for someone parting out a Mustang. First one I came across is a running '91 5.0 for 500 bucks. Any thoughts? or is just a running, never opened roller block a good place to start? Thx, Brian

Hi Brian, Just buy a good block, because if you are anything like us you will not use much else on a rebuild. I would suggest that you talk it through before laying your money out, because you may find that most of your expensive bought in engine is left on the workshop floor. Frank

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Brian,
A new Ford Motorsport roller block is $320 + shipping. By the time you account for the front cover and misc bits and pieces you'll touch $500 in new parts. You'll end up replacing all the bolts, heads, etc. A complete EFI system is worth about $700 alone. (I've never seen a mass air EFI adapted to a 40) So $500 isn't bad...

Brian, that $500 '91 5.0 will most likely need to be worked over extensively, and you really don't need the remainder of the Mustang's carcass cluttering up your driveway. I'd suggest you look for a longblock or shortblock on the auction block over at www.corral.net , or do a search on the Corral for Ed Clancy. He's one of the better engine builders that posts over there, and his shop is in Rhode Island. He could probably set you up.

Regards,
Mark

G

I bought a complete, even had spark plugs and oil filter, 5.0L from FMS for $1700. Now these are not found every day, but if you pay attention to the bulletins they send out, you can get a good deal. Mine was from an overrun of engines for the Aussie Falcon (part number was something like M-6007-G50), so the feul lines, etc. were opposite of American motors. This wasn't to bad to change and I had to use a 94-95 upper intake to fit under the GT40 rear deck. My EFI GT40 should be going to the paint shop soon and is, to my knowledge, the first stock type (mass air) EFI GT40.

[ May 17, 2002: Message edited by: Lynn Larsen ]

Just be careful what buy from Ford, watch the small print in the catalog. No Warranties!

Lynn, who is FMS? Are they a part of Ford? What did you do about the flywheel and engine balance? I HAVE to tear down anything I get in order to have the reciprocating mass re-balanced with my flywheel and clutch ass'y for my R-21. It has been turned and drilled and there is no way I am going to bolt that up to anything without a full up rebalance. I have read too many stories about improper engine balance eating motors with these transaxle-flywheel combos. Brian

[ May 17, 2002: Message edited by: Brian ]

G

Brian, My engine came with a flex plate, but that was not a concern for me since I was going to buy (and did) a Kennedy (KEP) adapter. Kennedy makes a beautiful replacement flywheel for use with my G50 transaxle. They only needed to know if it was an early or late model engine to use the heavy or light external balance weight. I have full faith in KEP and my engine runs a smooth as silk. I certainly wouldn't criticize balancing everything like you do as it is a very good practice. But since this engine is fairly stock, I am comfortable with the configuration for now. If I make any changes (heads, crank, pistons, etc), I will do exactly the same thing as you.

Back