Technical reading material

Can anyone suggest any good technical reading material on the Ford SB? I'm a bit green when it come to this engine. Something contemporary would be preferred since technology and suppliers are prone to changing quickly.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Chris, it sounds like I am in the same boat as you. I bought a Haynes manual for a '95 Mustang (my engine is from one of these) & it was a complete waste of money - there are no explanations of how things work (FI for example) & it tries to cover all optional engine types. I hope someone out there can point us in the direction of a good book on the SB.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.
smile.gif

Peter, you raised a good point.

I don't need a workshop manual. I need a book that will describe known factors to consider when modifying these specific engines, and also discuss the stages of various component upgrades as higher outputs are required.

Factors such as any known shortcomings, lubrication issues, harmonics at particular rev ranges, block limitation, con-rod and gudgeon pin relocation, proven after-market components, windage, head flowing, heads and combustion chambers, induction, cam profiles, engine mapping, etc etc etc.

I understand the general concepts and how they apply to other engines, but I know very little about the Ford SB. I might need more than one book to cover all these points.

[ May 26, 2002: Message edited by: Chris Liokos ]

[ May 26, 2002: Message edited by: Chris Liokos ]

Hi Chris
Have a look at these books, some are very current dealing with the 5.0L EFI engine.
1; Ford Windsor Small-Block Performance by Isaac Martin ISBN 1-55788-323-9 (1999)
2; How to build & Modify Ford Fuel-Injected 5.0L V-8 Engines by Tom Wilson ISBN 0-7603-0201-4 (1998)
3; 5.0L Ford Dyno Tests by Richard Holdener ISBN 1-884089-45-3 (2000)
4; How to Tune & Modify Ford Fuel Injection by Ben Watson ISBN 0-7603-0503-X (1998)
5; Ford Performance by Pat Ganahl ISBN 0-931472-05-9 (1979)
They are worth a read
regards

Clayton
smile.gif

G

The Watson book and a Chilton's with wiring diagram were my bibles in putting my EFI enging in. Engine came with all sensors and injectors, bought a comuter harness from Ford and married the computer harness to a Painless 18 circuit GM harness. Painless docs are just OK, but between the three I was able to get it together. Despite the fact that I found an error in 90-92 Ford diagrams in the A/C WOT cutout relay circuit. 89 was correct, but the rest all had the error. The nice thing about Watson is that he really tells you about all of the system and each components affects and possible mods. He is a little conservative, but doesn't say anything "wrong."

Ron Earp

Admin
Bob,

that is the book I have now in the garage and I've found it to be the best on asssembly and disassembly for Ford SBs. It doesn't go into FI much at all, but that is just fine as it really has some good bits on just the motors themselves. Good book for those building their motor.

Ron

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Thanks Guys - I just jumped into the 20th Century & ordered one of these books through Amazon - its scary how damn easy it all is !

I'll work my way through your suggested lists & build up a nice little library.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.
smile.gif

Hi Peter
Have you tried the Pitstop bookshop in Perth www.pitstop.net.au They have a lot of books and only takes a fews days for delivery.
I see there is a new title out 'How to build Max Performance Ford V8's on a budget by George Reid' this is on small and big block versions.
regards

Clayton

Bob, or whomever!!
The reviewer at anazon stated that the book only went through the 80's
rolleyes.gif

Will the book sufice for a 90's 302? or 351?
Most engines being rebuilt, I would venture are late model. Any help there or would these books do the job?
confused.gif

I have a 97 from an explorer. Would it be cheaper to buy a block and aftermarket parts, heads, intake, F.I., etc. for a build up (higher H.P./c.i. stroker etc.), or would the complete engine and aftermarket parts be a better way to go? I am in that area myself. If the complete engine modification is too expensive then I'll just rebuild the engine, sell it and start over.
Any thoughts???? Anyone
frown.gif

Hi All
Other good books of interest that are not specific to the small block ford but to all types are;
1; Engine Blueprinting by Rick Voegelin
2; How to build Horsepower vol 1 by David Vizard
3; How to choose Camshafts & time them for maximun power by Des Hammill
4; How to build & modify intake & exhaust systems
5; Theory & practice of cylinder head modification by David Vizard
6; How to build, modify & power tune cylinder heads by Peter Burgess & David Gollan
7; Practical gas flow by John Dalton
regards

Clayton

Thanks everyone for your input. I might even get with the times and try amazon.com instead of relying on technical bookshops that may or may not keep their promisses to "get a copy in by next week"
grin.gif

Back