Audi Transaxle ID - Help Please

I have located an Audi 5000 gasoline turbo in the wrecking yard. Checked the numbers on the transaxle case located just behind the CV joint on the right side. Looks like maybe "0163012U". I want to tell ave the wrecking yard to remove it for me but am not sure whether this is the "016" I am looking for. Does anyone out there know for sure? I have a picture of the number which I can email to anyone who is interested. Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can give me.
Regards, Blue

yep thats it, and if you look on the top of the bell housing the first 2 characters give you the gear ratio.

Many thanks Eric for the info.
Next question is what components, if any, should I get from the Audi along with the transaxle. For example, pedals, flywheel, clutch, joints, shafts, brakes, rotors, spindles, linkages, cables, etc.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
pedals, flywheel, clutch, brakes, rotors, spindles - No
joints, shafts, linkages, cables - Yes,

You'll need to fab a shift linkage as the front drive setup will not work. You may be able to modify the drive shafts to suit depending on the car.

Kennedy Engineering or Roaring Forties have clutch, flywheel, starter and throughout bearing

Well I picked up my new (to me) Audi transaxle from the bone yard today. The guy who pulled it said he will never take out another one. He said he cut off the whole nose of the donor car. Then said "I don't know how those mounts got broken off. I didn't do it." I hope I won't need them on my GT40. Anyway, I gave him the $50 (he originally wanted $100 plus $50 to pull it) and we loaded it onto my pickup for the trip home. Haven't checked the gear set yet, but I was disappointed when I looked at the size of the input shaft. It looks like a good running go-kart engine would twist it right off if you got on it! How in the world is that thing going to hold a 289, 302, 251, or 427???

[ October 18, 2002: Message edited by: BlueOvalBlood ]

Well I picked up my new (to me) Audi transaxle from the bone yard today. The guy who pulled it said he will never take out another one. He said he cut off the whole nose of the donor car. Then said "I don't know how those mounts got broken off. I didn't do it." I hope I won't need them on my GT40. Anyway, I gave him the $50 (he originally wanted $100 plus $50 to pull it) and we loaded it onto my pickup for the trip home. Haven't checked the gear set yet, but I was disappointed when I loked at the size of the input shaft. It looks like a good running go-kart engine would twist it right off if you got on it! How in the world is that thing going to hold a 289, 302, 251, or 427???

BlueOvalBlood,

Look on top of the Bellhousing, a little flat spot, and see if it is a "5N" transaxle. It'll work on a small block V8. Mark Clapp has used that for years.

Have fun!

John

John Stone, Thanks for the info. I checked the top of the bellhousing (flat surface right behind the engine block and slightly to the left side of the vehicle facing forward) and the only code I can find is "AFC" followed by some numerics which may be the date code. This does not match up with any of the ratio codes which I have seen posted here, so I am still curious as to what it is. Perhaps the gasoline turbo takes an oddball ratio set or maybe I am looking in the wrong place???
Best Regards, Blue

Back