who makes the most compact distributor?

Well, after working on my car for the first day & a half, I have the engine & trans mounted in the chassis.

After I tightened all of the mounts, I decided to "drop" my distributor into place to check the clearance. The ditrib fit fine until I installed the cap on it.

It sits so close to the frame member at the firewall that there are two cyls it would be impossible to put wires on & even if you could, you couldn't turn the dist to change timing.

I am using the MSD small billet unit. It seems to be too tall.

I thought of moving the engine back,,,but I don't have much room to spare as the snout of the starter to frame clearance may become an issue.

I need either about one inch smaller diameter or two inches shorter than this MSD unit.
Has anyone done a side by side comparison of different dists?

Ron Earp

Admin
Alain,

I have the same dizzy you have and it is close. But, there are smaller ones. The Mallory and Accel billet units are much smaller, I just sold one to a fellow since I wasn't using it. You might want to look into these, they're smaller in diameter by at least 1/2", if not a little more. It does put the plug wires closer together but you shouldn't have problems with a high quality wire.

Ron

John,

If you are using fuel injection and need a sync plug distributor look at MSD's new one. I got one for my engine part number 8506 for the 351W or if you are running a 302 8522. Here is the page at MSD

Richard

[ May 26, 2003: Message edited by: Richard Timte ]

Thanks for the info Ron, as you know a 1/2 inch of extra space found in one of these cars is like 5feet in anything else.

I'll try & find out id the measurements of the mallory/accel are posted anywhere.

Hopefully, this 200 plus dollar distributor that won't fit will be the "biggest" mistake I made in parts selection.

Thanks Richard. It sound like just the deal I've been looking for. I have changed my mind on the computer setup and will be using a Motec m-48.
Please send me your phone numbewr so I can pick your brian when the time comes.
It won't be real soon but hopefully soon enough. I still need the engine. Right Gordon!
John

Alain

I have the Accel billet dizzy.
It's about 7.50" from mounting base
to top of the spark plug posts on the cap.
The coil wire post is maybe 1/2" higher.
The cap is 3.625" OD.

MikeD

You're welcome.
If you call Jegs or Summit customer service
and ask real nice, they may measure a Mallory unit in their stock.

MikeD

Guys,
You ought to at least look at the distributorless route. It is a very neat setup. Set it and forget it, and no clearance problems. In fact you could then move the engine forward an inch or two for better weight distibution.
Bill

Jack, can you measure your unilite for me please? I called the mallory tech line today, and they weren't much help.

I need to know the height from the engine block to the top of the spark plug wire posts. (mallory only had the spec for the coil post which I know is taller)

I also need to know the diameter at the outside diameter of the spark plug posts. (again mallory was no help & only had the diameter of the entire cap housing.)

I am now about 90 percent certain this unit will work, but the measurements would be a great help.

If you post the specs, perhaps they will be valuable info for a future builder here too?

I also enquired with the mallory tech about their "crab" or flat distributor cap. He told me it would only work if I disassembled the dist and milled it 90 thousanths.

I am thinking of buying the "crab" cap to maybe see if the fit will be better suited to the car since the plug wires now would enter the dis horizontally.

Back